cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

xoxo

trying to hold on.... how?

I just discover this site today.

I've been a smoker for about 14 years, consuming 1 pack per day. ( I reached 2packs- but was able to cut down to 1 pack) Two of my kids got asthma, may dad has COPD with tracheal tube for >3 years.... i got a lot of reason to quit. iv tried several times but failed.

However, I'm smoke free for 10 days now... initially not by choice but because i had an abdominal surgery 10 days ago. obviously, i cant smoke on the day of my surgery. day after the surgery i still cant because i'm having a hard time having to do deep breathing and coughing.... for several days, i was having bouts of cough which causes pain at the incision site which leave me no choice but no really not smoke. My hubby encouraged me to continue quiting.... since its a good opportunity to do it--- i lso believe so... But still, i'm having cravings and urges to smoke. 

I dont know to hold on and not slipped back...

help!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jbkb0820

you can do it!!!!  Im on day 23 and it is hard at certain times but we have to stay strong.  🙂

0 Kudos
patrick-marsh

HEY LOOK AT AS A GRIFT! FROM ABOVE TO HELP YOU QUIT!! KNOW YOU CAN DO IT! CONGRATS ON THE 10DAYS!!!!!!!YOUR ONE AWESOME QUITER!! IT DOES GET BETTER IN TIME !1 STAY STRONG!! WE ALL TRYED TO QUIT MANY TIMES BEFORE YOU GET IT! JUST DONT GIVE UP KEEP TRYING ! THIS IS A GREAT SITE TO GET HELP!!

0 Kudos
cathi4

You have to decide to stay quit not just because you were "made to stop". These quits take resolve and a few other things but the resolve to stay quit is the biggest. You need to quit because it is slowly killing you and you already have a foot up!

Stay quit! You are worth this and more!! I will keep reminding you if you stay with your quit until you are grateful to be done!

0 Kudos
sandra-r

Hey. I just joined this site today too. I was a heavy smoker for about ten years. I've been a non-smoker now for a little over two months. This was my first quitting attempt ever and I'm hoping it will be my last. Anyway enough about me. 10 days is an amazing accomplishment !!!! Congratulations. If you're anything like me though you're wondering why it hasn't gotten any easier and this frustration actually intensifies the cravings.Here are some things that have helped me beat the cravings. 1) recommit for only five minutes. Sometimes that's all you can do. If you can avoid smoking for only those five minutes, you'll find that the craving subsides. 2) Congratulate yourself. 3) Don't think of yourself as an ex-smoker (regardless of the websites name 🙂 Think of yourself as a non-smoker. 4) repeat to yourself over and over again that there will be a day when you won't want it anymore, and when NOT smoking will be the easiest thing. Write it down too..... Good luck. I know you can do it!

0 Kudos