cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

skypeople

still a newbie on stop smoking

will turn 62 years old at end of month and have smoked off and on since i was 18 and went into the Marine Corps in July 1966 where I learned to smoke and got hooked the first time; then after having rapid heart beat problems and just never felt good; shortness of breath, chest pains, and could go on; I quit the first time around April of 1984;  I did not smoke again for 15 years; I took a nasty fall down 11 or 12 concrete steps and had concussion and do not remember how or why I started smoking again; smoked until after a friend of mine, Tom, a vietnam veterans died of cancer in November 2004 and several months after that i gave away all my cigarettes and quit Feb. 2005;  I did ok and then got around other smokers and was under a lot of stress as having medical issues and a lot of pain; so started smoking in october 2006 and smoked until April 12, 2010 and have not smoked since.  I will admit I have been using nicotine gum as used that once before and was able to stop smoking and then stopped using the gum.  I was diagnosed with moderate COPD and have even more medical issues and know I have to quit now and this is like my last chance to get off cigarettes; tired of feeling miserable, coughing, shortness of breath and know if I continue I will end up like a lot of veterans I have seen at VA nursing homes that have gone thorugh amputatons; on oxygen twenty seven etc andjust do not want to be there in future.  Plus just lost my older brother (he was 10 months older then me) who was a heav smoker most of his ife to stage four throat cancer and by time he died it had spread to his chest, and also in bones as well.  He had to have a trach and also a feeding tube as he could not eat and got to where he could not even drink fluids; he died March 30, 2010.

0 Kudos
111 Replies
roseygrammy

Just wondering how you are doing? I will be quitting on Monday for a surgery that I will be having. Been told I have COPD a few years ago but they never done anything about it except to offer albuteral inhaler. Gastric bypass coming up and have to quit. Really gives me a real good reason to do such and push myself even harder to do it. Stress is my biggest trigger. Finals, a major surgery and family problems. Any recommendations on how to handle these things other what they stated here?

0 Kudos

Come to the BLOGS where our Community at Large are! Tell us your story and get immediate support!

0 Kudos
simijohn

Hey!

I am not new here but new in this forum & will like to join all of your discussion.

Story is very intersting.

Its very simple to join any group here...before joining you have to register your ID here and then you will be able to participate in any forum...:)

Caravan Lights

0 Kudos

I refuse to let spammers have the last word! Come to the BLOGS and find out more!!!!

0 Kudos

ok i'm going to try this i don't know about quiting cold turkey what would u all recommend  to help me i have been smoking for almost 10 years and have tried once to quit and it didn't work  apparently i had no will power.

0 Kudos

@ Juanita

Welcome!  I wrote a note on your message board. Why not tell us a bit more about yourself when you get the time. Nothing too personal but include your smoking history. How much and for how long etc.

Please see my note!

0 Kudos

Hi folks! If you are just joining this site, we want you to know that the majority of us are sharing our ideas and support in the BLOGS button on the upper right hand corner of this widget! Check us out! WELCOME!
0 Kudos
jaysun

I have been free of my addiction for 60 days, I started when I was 17 and joined the Army, I wanted to fit in with all the other guys. I am now 44 and enjoy being outdoors, however smoking was making it harder and harder to enjoy the things I wanted to do without being short of breath or thinking I was going to run out. Since Ive been free Ive noticed it easier to breath on hikes and on vacation. I wont lie, the first month was total hell, I decided to go pretty much cold turkey, I read everything on this site and knew what I had to do and did it. I didnt log back on here to report progress because it just kept reminding me of wanting a cig, so I stayed away and I didi it. I QUIT, again I wont lie, everyday is still a struggle especially now that its summer and everyone I know smokes. My friends do try to not smoke around me and they all know not to offer one to me. I also had my house professionally cleaned and no longer allow smoking inside. That was a huge help not smelling it everywhere anymore. Im not sure how the military is working now, but I wish they would not allow smoking , Ive noticed in a lot of these replies, that they started in the military, . My parents were both heavy smokers, my mother suffered from COPD and died gasping for air trapped inside hooked to oxegen, my father dies 6 months later coughing up blood with lung cancer. I carry their picture with me everyday in the same pocket I carried my cigarettes, now when I want one I look at them instead and think of all the years Ive missed being with them. Stay strong everyone and good luck on your fight to kick the habit. I know you can do it

0 Kudos
suseesmith

After smoking for 43 years, and trying every available method over the past 10 years (Wellbutrin, gum, the patch, lozenges, Chantix to name a few) I finally quit smoking 25 weeks ago by reading "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" a book by Allen Carr. Two of my friends quit by reading this book also. It really was easy and I don't even think about smoking anymore. If you are serious about quitting, READ THE BOOK!! It's available at any book store or on Amazon for around $10. The big pharmecutical companies hate this book because IT WORKS!!

0 Kudos

I agree! The Easy Way is a Big Help! So is a Community of your Peers! You'll find us (the Community at Large) in the Blogs - just click the button on the upper right hand of this widget! Hope to see you there!
0 Kudos