cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

!st Day

Hello everyone. My name is James. I quit smoking about 4 hours ago. The funny thing is that I have so much going on in my life right now that I figured that things couldnt get much tougher so now is as good  a time as any.

Im a father to my one and only 6 year old son. He will be 7 Sunday. I want so bad to tell him that Daddy hasent had a smoke for 5 days on his B-Day.. I could sure use some support and would like to help others as well.

Please stop by and say hi....

Thanks,

James

0 Kudos
17 Replies
barbara16

Hi James,

congrats on making the most important decision of your life!!  And for adding a healthy life to your exsisting one.  YOUR son will be so very proud of you when he finds out!!  There never is a good time to quit--life--can be difficult and always throws us wrenches and twists.  BUT you're on the right path--not only for yourself but for that precious little boy of yours!!

Hang in there with your quit.  Remember why you are doing this--maybe write down the reasons for your quit.  Have your tools all ready.  I'm sure you know about drinking lots of water, eating frozen grapes when craves are bad and deep breaths. 

I've tried to quit several times but guess I wasn't ready.  I'm on day 3 and going a bit bonkers but I am not giving in this time.  This time I decided to post and fight the fight.  I hate smoking and when I did I 'd ask myself why am I doing this?  A vicious circle I needed to get off.

Hey keep posting and let us know how you're doing.  Quitting is doable--look at all the people that are here on this site.  It can be done.  And look at that precious son of yours--he's reason enough to quit and stay quit--right? 🙂

Hang in there---great decision--keep it up.  If you need any help or just want to shoot the *hit--post.  Keep in touch..

0 Kudos

Thanks for taking the time to write. It really helps to know that someone out there cares and knows what its like,,, I dont think the entire reality has hit me yet. Im a little embarrassed to say I feel emotional. Weird??

So your on day 3? From what  I hear that once you make it past day 3, it gets much easier. So this is my first time talking to anyone on here so Im going to keep it short to see if you get it.. Haha.

0 Kudos
webstere2011

James,

We are in the same boat. I feel for you and I hope you make it without a cig till your son's birthday. That would be awesome.Yesterday was my first day without a cig in two and a half years. Right now life sucks but I know it will get better.  I love cigs more than anyone and honestly I have no idea why I quit. I just woke up the other day and said I was quitting. Here;s to quitting! Good Luck!!!! 🙂 

0 Kudos
barbara16

Awe, it's a pleasure to talk about the battle that we are going through.  Anytime ya wanna talk--either post or e-mail.  I'm going to check in daily.  I also need support and I believe that it helps when we help others during our quit.  Keeps our mind off of what we are going through...  Hey, don't be embarressed about how you feel--your feelings are very important.  That's something no one care ever take away--YOUR feelings--that's important..  And emontional--lol--I know what you're talking about!  It's normal.  See even if you're using some kind of quit smoking aid you're still not inhaling a cig.  Therefore, one way or another your body is freaking--hence--more emontions are coming up.  It's okay--very normal.  Acknowledge what you feel--think about it--share if you want and keep on going.  We do learn a lot about ourselves when we quit.  Our triggers--our feelings--so many things.  I guess because we're not busy putting that cig in our mouth we start using our brains and realize things. lol

Yes, hurray, I made day 3!!  I am so so very greatful!!  I honestly don't know about it getting easier after day 3.  But I must say every day I haven't smoked I am so so happy inside.  I think after 2 weeks for me it gets a little easier.  The first 2 weeks for me are a bit of a battle. But I know what to expect and now I do know that smoking does not solve ANY kind of problems, fights, or issues.  For me when I gave in--I just felt worse when I smoked.  So now I remember the things that I have learned through my journey.  And I know I need support--positive support goes a long way.

Just remember--what the reasons are for your quit.  That a cig will not make anything better--it really won't.  Are you using any kind of NRT?  Or are you doing this "cold turkey?"   Just wondering. Another thing I want to share with you before i go is reward yourself every day when you faven't smoked.  Tell yourself how wonderful it is and that YES you can do this and YOU are doing it!  Be proud of your acomplishment..

0 Kudos
finewine

Good luck.  It's an decision that wil change your life and give you much more time to spend with your son.

0 Kudos
radiorich

Hi, James ! 

And congrats on your QUIT !   You CAN do it, yes, it will be tough, and tough times, but, as you said, it would be

so great for that boy of yours !   

I have been done with them for 18 mos now, but trust me, the other week I could have bought a pack REAL quick...

I was 2 1/2 - 3 + pack a day smoker, (Yes, pretty serious) for over 25 yrs, and a little less to round out 40+ yrs of

smoking...I just HAD to quit, and like you, I am sure you have found all of the right reasons, and have made the decision...

Yes, it is then YOUR time !   Hang in there, and here are a few of my little tipsters, everyone has different things I

know, but, I used to wear "Pocket" shirts, where I always had my cigarettes, and fancy little Zippo, before I graduated

to the Bic thro-aways....       SO, I carried a small box of round toothpicks in my pocket, where cigarettes were, and if got the urge, would just take out the box, tap out a toothpick, and kinda enjoy THAT awhile....Just kind of roll it around,

and  enjoy for 10 minutes or so, and urge would go away !   ALSO...  Tic-Tacs   !   Graet little plastic box invention, with

the bonus that they taste good... I STILL carry a box around most of time today, do not eat as many as did, but time to

time they are great, and maybe help take that "Edge" off... !       Best of luck, and YES, you can do this James  ! ! !

( Oh, and by the way, I tell ALL....REWARD yourself time to time, for the great job and work you are doing...DO

something SPECIAL for all of the money you are saving now ! ! Go to a movie, get that special ice-cream, whatEVER

because you deserve it !  I bought a new show-truck  just the other day, I go to carshows is a hobby of mine, and

I figured the way I was smoking, I have it paid off just a little past next year ! ! !     Take care, and by the way, your

next day of quit is almost past altredy ! ! !  SEE !  

0 Kudos
sickofsmoke2

Congratulations James!  

I am almost there, I think a couple of more days and I will be saying I QUIT!  

0 Kudos
jill38

hi James, i was so touched by the photo and your decision to quit when it seems like everthing is going so upside right now! How encouraging it is to me. I have  tears in my eyes. It's like I am getitin hit with reality now. I have no excuses left. Just stubborness. I just realized how much fear I have in starting college again on Monday and having to write papers with this computer. I  took the summer off and transferred schools , after attending one semester in 27 years! I am thinkin on my quit date. I have done it before. 3 days , 5 days once. God Bless you and give you supernatural strength to kick this habit. My prayer  goes out to myself ,as well

0 Kudos
laurie37

Hi James, Welcome to this VERY supportive group of people. I quit on August 3rd, my birthday gift to myself. I'm using Nicorette gum since I've always chewed it when I couldn't smoke. I quit before I found this site but now it is the first thing I do in the morning and the last at night. Apparently everybody here uses the BLOG area to write since someone is always there.:) My sweet brother is praying for strength and grace for me on this journey. I will pray those for you also.

Laurie

0 Kudos