cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

asimeonov

smoking cessation programs

Hello, 

My employer recently imposed a smoking cessation program at work where they charge smokers a $20 fee per paycheck (I know, pretty damn ridiculous if you ask me). Anyway, to avoid this fee, you have to take a smoking cessation program and show a certificate of completion. I have no intention of quitting smoking, and what I do at home outside of work is nobody's business, so to subject me to a fee for doing this is preposterous. Their rationale is that smokers have higher insurance costs, which is a bull argument because so do very obese people and they dont have any extra insurance charges; but I digress. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here is from Chicago and knows of any local programs that I may look into. It doesn't matter if they are free or if they have a charge. I literally just want to sign up, get a certificate for completing the program so I can submit it to work. I dont plan on going to any of their meetings because I dont want to quit smoking at this time. 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
65 Replies
karenjones

I wanted to quit. There was nothing that I liked about smoking.  Smoking made me depressed and the way to get rid of that depression was to stop smoking. You bet your bippy I wanted to quit. And  I have. And that makes me happy.

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@all  A great discussion is emerging here.  I love the diverse variety of opinions and experiences.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
MargUcci

I joined this group also under duress from my employer.  I did so with an open mind and every intention to do the right thing.  I have been quietly reading, for the most part, without comments.  I failed my first quit date--but yesterday, I allowed myself to run out of cigarettes and I have not had one as of yet today either.  I am going to succeed in "becoming an Ex" eventually!  I can do it.  

Sandy-9-17-17

Yes you can MargUcci

It  is so doable, I know, because I smoked for 43 years thinking I couldn't quit, but I have and I will remain a quitter. 

I am a lucky one, I don't have cravings, just phantom smells!!!  And only on occasion does that happen!  

I smoked a pack a day for 43 years with only 1 other quit that lasted 9 months.  You're in a great place to get all the support, and gain new friendships! 

Wishing you all the best and strength to just say N.O.P.E.

Sandy

elvan

MargUcci  Congratulations...once you do the reading and keep paying attention to blogs...smoking will never be the same.  You will have a knowledge and understanding of this addiction that you cannot ignore.  You, absolutely, CAN do this.  

Best to you,

Ellen

ThePearlWolf

MargUcci‌ Congratulations!  I'm 16 days in and can tell you it's much easier now than it was those first few days.  Stick with it.  It's really worth it.

Lisaml

That's AWESOME! Good for you! Just keep reading and you will succeed!!

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Glad you're here MargUcci

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

Employees who smoke cost employers approximately $5,800 per smoker per year, according to a 2013 research study by the Ohio State University.  These costs include:

• Over $2,000 per smoker in excess medical expenditures
  • Over $3,500 per smoker in lost productivity

Employees that smoke contribute to:

• Higher life insurance premiums
  • Increased absenteeism
  • More time spent on smoking breaks
  • Greater risk of occupational injuries
  • More disability claims
  • Increased cleaning and maintenance
  • More disciplinary actions

Quitline: Costs of Employee Tobacco Use 

rubyray87

I am actually work as a health coach for one of these companies that deliver these Tobacco Cessation programs for employees. Some alternative programs we recognize include National Cancer Institute (Quit line), American Cancer Society (Fresh Start), American Lung Association and American Legacy Foundation.

0 Kudos