cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

asimeonov

smoking cessation programs

Hello, 

My employer recently imposed a smoking cessation program at work where they charge smokers a $20 fee per paycheck (I know, pretty damn ridiculous if you ask me). Anyway, to avoid this fee, you have to take a smoking cessation program and show a certificate of completion. I have no intention of quitting smoking, and what I do at home outside of work is nobody's business, so to subject me to a fee for doing this is preposterous. Their rationale is that smokers have higher insurance costs, which is a bull argument because so do very obese people and they dont have any extra insurance charges; but I digress. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here is from Chicago and knows of any local programs that I may look into. It doesn't matter if they are free or if they have a charge. I literally just want to sign up, get a certificate for completing the program so I can submit it to work. I dont plan on going to any of their meetings because I dont want to quit smoking at this time. 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
65 Replies
elvan

I really did not like smoking...I was very addicted but I hated the smell, I hated the way people looked at me if they saw me smoking, I hated feeling ashamed of myself and I really DID feel ashamed of myself.  I started smoking when I was 17 and did not quit until I was 64 except for when I was pregnant and some short term quits along the way.  I have COPD, the result of my smoking is having to use oxygen at night, feeling short of breath with the least bit of exertion, and having to have surgery to remove both of my upper lobes of my lungs because they were so badly damaged from smoking.  I remember feeling much like you do and resenting it when employers started to penalize smokers...I have to admit that I understand the side of the employers too.  I don't know if you can get a certificate from any smoking cessation classes or programs without actually participating.  I went through a program years ago, I think it was sponsored by my employer...I did get a certificate, cannot remember how long the program lasted or how often we met.  You might try looking at wellness centers that are affiliated with hospitals but I really don't know how you are going to get a certificate if you don't participate.  Is there ANY chance that you can get your employer to accept the fact that you cannot attend the classes because of time commitments?  I, too, have heard that employers are testing employees and applicants for nicotine as well as other substances.  

Ellen

Daniela2016

asimeonov‌, I think what your company is doing should fall under the umbrella of discrimination.  But I am sure they found some crack in the law to justify their actions.  I have been working for the same company for nearly 17 years, and I went through all the steps of pushing away the smokers, from the balconies, then from the patio, then several years the designated smoking area is across a street; the same question was asked of us some 5 years ago, but when we had to re-enroll for medical. Sorry I can't be of help recommending anything for you, nor do I am in the position to suggest you quit.  I will just say to you that once I quit, I felt so much relief in the work place; for years I felt pushed aside because of smoking.  They kept me so many years for doing a good job, through many rounds of layoffs, but the fear of being let go one day just because I was a smoker, I don't have that anymore.

0 Kudos
Sandy-9-17-17

My response to what asimeonov said:  what I do with my own money is my prerogative. However, its not right, nor fair for an employer to fine me for what I choose to do in my own home. the way they can legally get around this is by providing an on site smoking cessation program which I was initially registered for but could not attend; 2 jobs, and school. so i need more flexible resources 

My response to this was going to be:  Imagine how much more free time they would have if they didn't smoke!  

Maybe they'll be back one day!  We Hope! 

It is so sad that they deactivated from this site!  

0 Kudos
karenjones

Cheap, in Canada a small pack (20) COSTS about 17 dollars, a large pack 20. It is called sin taxes. thats what makes it so expensive.

0 Kudos
indingrl

You are still MY favorite teacher because YOU beloved Lady G always HELP the next SUFFERING person! Thank you and please keep coming BACK! 

Barb102

It’s ok we have all been there when we didn’t want to stop. It will never work if it’s something you don’t do for yourself. If you are not ready that’s fine. This is not a judgement site. Good luck to you  if and when you feel like quitting come back here. I’m 47 days and wouldn’t be w/o the support. Please for your own sake and not the job (I pay extra for health insurance) don’t wait as long as most of us I. I have COPD now. Believe me I’m not preaching I just don’t want you to wait too long  I will never be one of those former smokers who hates smokers. I will always be a smoker who isn’t smoking today. All the best to you. 

Barb

MichelleDiane

asimeonov, I'm wondering why you would come to a smoking cessation community to find out how to get out of doing a smoking cessation program.  I may have missed something.

asimeonov

i looked up different programs which were offered in my area. According to a source I found, they discussed this website and I was under the impression that they had some sort of interactive online course, so i signed up to try to see what the deal was. since it didnt offer what I needed, i thought i'd post in the forum if someone had any leads on what im looking for 

Eym ACult  

You don't have to want to quit smoking to quit smoking.

I didn't want to quit and I had been smoking for 40 years.

I had no pressing need to quit, no major health problems forcing me or anything.

You don't even have to think about it too much, if you come here twice a day and read for 15 minutes it's much easier than going to a meeting.

AND, like I said, you don't have to want to quit!

most people are afraid to fail

Or, they just don't know how to quit.

Your future is in your hands

Lisaml

I don't believe anyone actually WANTS to quit. 

It becomes a necessity...an embarrassment, a threat to health, wealth and wellbeing... 

At least you know where to come for support when you do choose to quit.