cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

gramX2

slipped again

Thursday should have been my 3 month mark, but once again I slipped on the weekend which seems to be my biggest hurdle. I really don't have an issue all week at work and when I get home but on the weekend I just grab one of my husbands cigarettes and have to have a few puffs. ( he doesn't know-I sneak it) My mind says, oh its just one, you went from 70 to 80 smokes a week to just one or two, how can that hurt. And I know that is wrong, every time I light up, I reset those little receptors in my brain to want just one more, so today I pledge once again to not smoke today and to look forward to not smoking tomorrow. I got this!!

41 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I hope the medication is kicking in.

Feel better!

Nancy

0 Kudos
KatherineF

Yes you can do this! Make a plan for the weekend so it doesn’t slip up on you again.

AnnaM0912

OH MY GOSH.  It's not that being at home all weekend gives me "I want a cigarette" anxiety, but also, IT TOTALLY DOES.  I'm just fine all week at work.  I'm fine weeknights at home with the family.  Then the weekend comes and I almost wish that my husband would leave his pack lying out somewhere so I would have an excuse to snag one and slip up. And it's not like he smokes around me or in the house, or even very often anymore (from a pack a day to 2-3 a day for him), but just know that he has them makes me want one.  I will be @ 13 days when our 3 day weekend gets here, and my fingers are crossed that I will keep myself busy enough to not notice that all I want is to go sneak one from my husbands pack, and I'll be @ 16 days when I head back to work. 

I feel ya lady.  Here's to making it through the weekend!

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex, Anna! Keep connecting with quitters...it's good for smobriety.

gramX2

don't take that one puff like I did and give up your 13 days in. I had 6 weeks in and had a smoke on the weekend, than I was good for a couple of weeks. I did it again, except I had one on sat and sun. so I had to start over again, I should have been 3 months no smoking but instead I am at 5 days. so totally not worth it, it tasted like crap and than I was so mad at myself. keep yourself busy and when the urge comes on, just say nope and move on with your day. I have to do the same thing, I have a major snowstorm coming tomorrow so I will be stuck in the house, but I am going to go thru my cookbooks and do some baking. You got this Anna!!

KatherineF

Great advice! Keep busy! You can do this!

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
AnnaM0912

Snowstorm predicted here too! I'm trying to stay away from the sweets (my waistline hasn't loved quitting smoking), so I think I've talked my husband into helping me get the carpets done now that were not tracking nasty cigarette gunk in from outside! Between that and some Mario Kart action with the littles we should fill up the empty spots pretty quick!

DonnaMarie

The only thing I have to add is that whatever reason we smoked for in the past will still be there even if we don't smoke. We have to address our emotions, our hungers, our urges and habits, and all that good stuff.

I absolutely cannot have one puff. 

Thanks for sharing!

AnnaM0912

You are so right! This is actually the quitting thing I am having the biggest problem with.  I definitely have an oral fixation (ask all the snacks I've had for the last 2 weeks), and I have 1 or 2 nicotine mints throughout the day (one usually lasts all day, they are so strong!) but finding a way to channel all of those feelings that make me want to smoke (being angry, drinking, being happy, visiting certain friends, breathing too much clean air, crying babies, busy stores, long wait times on phone calls, paying irrational bills).  So, I'll just keep not smoking one day at a time and channel that all somewhere as it comes!

0 Kudos
elvan

AnnaM0912‌ For as long as we smoked...we stuffed our emotions and we did not learn to deal with them as we were growing up...the way non smokers did.  Any time an emotion was uncomfortable, we lit up.  We have to accept that FEELING our emotions is normal...it's okay to be sad, to be irritable, to be anxious, to be angry....it's okay, those feelings are not going to kill us, unlike smoking. One day at a time is sometimes too much and it has to be one FEELING at a time, one EMOTION at a time.  We stunted our emotional growth with our addiction, it's time to grow emotionally and to accept that it might not be easy.  

Best,

Ellen