cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

brightmama

Quit Date Fears

This is my first post, so forgive me if I mess it up.  Today is my quit date and I'm very anxious and nervous about it.  I quit once before (after my first heart attack) and didn't smoke for over two years. Then, typically, I figured I could have just one now and then, and before long I was back to being a smoker.  I both need and want to quit .... my children and my boyfriend  hate smoking, I felt so much better when I wasn't smoking and of course I hate that I'm further risking my health.

I'm not, however, going to continue to beat myself up over my failure ..... I'm just going to try again and again until I succeed.  I believe I know more about what to expect this time (too bad I'm not spending the first 8 days of withdrawl in the hospital on good meds  LOL).

Anyway, I'm oldish, smoked forever, and I anticipate this will be very difficult for me.  But I'll try really hard to not be a cheater OR a bitcher   🙂

Colleen  (Brightmama)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
wishingstar

hi and welcome, Im going to share with an important book by Allen Carr, it will explain the addiction and the fears you have and how to be free of the addiction.  Quiting is hard for every one. You will meet all types of ex smokers some that have smoked as long as you have or even longer.  I was a little scared to at first and that is normal. But what should scare you the most is all things that can happen if you don't that list will far out way you quiting. 

This community is a great support group. Also , plase do the activitys here on this site.

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

renee 36 days

0 Kudos

Quitting is as hard as you perceive it to be.

You speak the negative out loud, you reenforce the negative.

Can I make it any clearer than that?

0 Kudos
ShawnP

Hi and welcome. We all been through this at some point . Quitting on your own isn't easy and everybody here understands what you're going through and can help. This site is packed with alot of information. Read everything about your addiction, set a quit date if you haven't already and stay close to this site especially first few months. Blog as you need or want to. Everybody hangs out in the blogs. There is a Freedom train blog that gets posted everyday. Its like an online party to celebrate milestones whether it be 1 day or a few years. Every day is special, it's 1 day that you aren't smoking. We are here to support you 🙂

0 Kudos
cory-3-10-13

Hi Colleen and welcome! I hope your first day is going ok, for a first day anyway! I found that day to be one of the hardest, but once I got through that I felt really proud of myself for making through day 1 and I've been taking each day one at a time since.  I'm on 99 days today and I'm thinking of smoking less and less...it feels really good. This site definitely helped me to reach this point in my quit.  I'm not an EXpert, but I know a lot more about nicotine addiction now, from this site and from whyquit.com and I believe that knowledge has helped me to be successful this time. So read as much as you can about nicotine addiction and post a blog here if you are having a hard time with a craving. We are all here to support each other. Have a beautiful smoke free day 1!

0 Kudos
brightmama

Thanks for the support!  My plan was to stay very busy and "work" through the rough spots ...... instead I've tossed the plan and am being kind to myself instead.  I've taken the day off from cleaning and purging and getting my house sale ready.  I've taken a warm bath, pampered myself, and made plans to go out to dinner with a group of non smoking friends.  Maybe there's something to be said for approaching these first few days being gentle instead of being a warrior?  It's all a learning process I suppose.

0 Kudos
aries2

Hi Colleen,

I'm new here and live in upstate SC and am over 55. I started smoking "to be cool" when I was 16 and have tried quitting several times. The longest was for a  year. Stressors for me are  "stress" - LOL. As long as you have your "first aid" kit prepared ahead of time, you will be OK and can do it.  I am originally from FL where salt water helped my allergies. Pollen up here is horrible -- I can't breathe, I choke when I'm trying to sleep, and of course, smoke make it worse. As I write this, this is my 3rd full day without smoking. I am on Zyban and Chantix which I started about 2-3 weeks ago. Then I started tapering off to 3 cigarettes a day or 1 pack a wk. I started chewing Nicroette mint gum about 2 weeks ago when I was tapering off. I guess I have some benefit knowing what to expect. Drink alot of water and sugarless tea . I'm on a GI diet because of IBS so I have been eating greens, protein, and my fruit of choice is apples and pineapple chunks at night. Even my endocrinologist says I'm doing everything right. I have lower back issues and can't handle more weight. I live in an unsafe neighborhood with all these allergies and don't walk like I used to. But it is essential to get the body moving - I do yoga for stress release and isometric exercises because of my back. I bought a smokeless cigarette ,but found it was so heavy that I really don't use it for the hand to mouth habit. That part is tea and/or water that solvest that problem. I live by mself so luckily I'm not a drinker or around smokers.

Just stay busy -- wash the car, cut or prune the yard, redecorate if that helps you, but have gum or your bottle of tea or water right there whatever you do. REMEMBER no bumming or buying cigarettes - that smoke will make breathing harder and create more mucus for choking.

TO THE GROUP: I'm looking for some Commit nicotine replacement lozenzes. There used to be a site where you can get them for free. Any ideas on that?

When one is over 55, the metabolism is none existent, so weight loss is hard enough. Any ideas of weight loss when the metabolism has just about shut down. Again, my back is a problem area so I can't run anymore -- I just jokingly say" I am having a little girl" (bloated stomach) which has been caused by cigarette smoking. I eat between 900-1200 calories a day with lots of unsweetened peach tea or water.

Any ideas from the older crowd?

0 Kudos
southie

Wow, Colleen! Sounds like you had your quit date under control and well planned out. WTG 🙂

0 Kudos
millon03

Colleen, why not anticipate that this time is going to be the easiest and expect you will never smoke again?

Peace,

Melissa

0 Kudos