cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

"They Paved Paradise And Put Up A Parking Lot"

I received a very disheartening message last night from someone who has been here awhile.

What it said was they were considering leaving the site.

Why? The moderation and censorship that has been put in place.

I'd like to discuss when and why these restrictions came into play.

The moderation came into play after 2 days of uncontrolled spamming.

Why was it uncontrolled? BECAUSE THERE WAS NO ONE HERE TO TAKE CARE OF IT.

The profanity filter came into play after profane personal attacks were made on members that sat for two days, unmoderated.

And, why was it uncontrolled? BECAUSE NO ONE WAS HERE TO TAKE CARE OF IT.

I realize they had a bunch of people working long and hard to prevent these problems from continuing but look at the resultI

IS THIS SITE GOING TO HAVE A FULL TIME MODERATOR, 24/7 or even 12/7  (by moderator, I mean someone who can get to the site to fix a problem) OR ARE THEY JUST GOING TO CONTINUE CLAMPING DOWN ON OUR FREEDOMS BECAUSE IT'S EASIER FOR THEM, Institutionalizing people's original ideas, moving posts, etc?

If you're trying to help someone and your comment is unseen because it is in moderation because of some algorithm/filter , you've helped no one.

I myself am not leaving yet, just asking.

35 Replies
linda258

The most popular conversation on a stop smoking site is about a filter to stop spam and foul language.... I would assume that the most visited conversation should/would be about smoking or not smoking.

Just saying....

0 Kudos
linda258

Can't imagine why I might be leaving this time and not coming back....

linda258

Ok.... Jones.. I am sorry that you took my comment as snarky... that was not my intent.  No, I am not on this site often anymore... I used to be,and honestly might visit more except it is at times stressful to participate.  I was on this site everyday for almost two years and appreciate all the information that was directed toward quitting. 

All of the time and advice that you have contributed to helping people stop smoking (me included) is greatly appreciated.  I do remember you as bulldog .... but not as aggressive as you appear today.  

People are dying out there... our little misunderstanding does not deserve anyone's time nor energy. Forgive me and get back out there saving lives.   

0 Kudos

The person who claimed there was no snarky comment pertaining to this blog in their own lengthy comment and edited my response while claiming the comment could have pertained to 2 other places has requested I announce that they didn't delete the comments Yes, I was the filter that filtered the filter. 🙂

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007 wrote:

The person who claimed there was no snarky comment pertaining to this blog in their own lengthy comment and edited my response while claiming the comment could have pertained to 2 other places has requested I announce that they didn't delete the comments Yes, I was the filter that filtered the filter. 🙂

You can just say you are talking about me.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

You figured it out. They aren't dumb. They can figure it out.  🙂

0 Kudos