Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

"If I had a cigarette, I would become a full time smoker again."

because I would have chosen to do it.

No one forces us to smoke.

Willpower wont stop the memories.

Willpower won't stop us from thinking about smoking.

Willpower means you're trying to not think about something.

It becomes an effort in futility.

Try not thinking about a hairy pickle.

Hairy+pickle_308119_5633662.jpg

Unlearning smoking is the only way to disconnect.

How do you do that?

You make new memories without smoking

until it clicks for you.

24 Replies
minihorses

I love your sense of humor! Especially when it's off kilter! And this is SO true. I DECIDED to smoke after 7 months.  It's not that I didn't have the willpower, I DECIDED that I just didn't care anymore.  I was also homeless so I wouldn't be able buy them with only having the $20 in my pocket. I went' a round trip of 3 hours to my friends for a cigarette. BOOM there went my quit. So I also DECIDED to quit again.  During the 7 months last quit I learned a lot and had lots of help I learned how to live as a non-smoker. I had a plan in place, what to do when those triggers occurred and how to get around or go and walk through the puddles.   Hang on, the triggers can be worked out by learning what to do besides smoking and you will have the DESIRE, NOT THE WILLPOWER help you succeed!

virgomama

I'll keep working it JonesCarpeDiem. I will. It's my 2nd read through this little blog.  Saved my b**tt this week.  I was and am willing to make the choice not to smoke.  Willingness gives it a softer more accepting attitude.  That hairy pickle picture is a good distraction.

Giulia

I think we choose the cigarette but don't think about the fact of what that choice actually means.  We think we can just choose that one - at that moment.  We don't think we're choosing to become a full-time smoker with that one.  That's, perhaps the final lesson in the quit journey that needs be learned.  That when you choose one, you choose ALL and you choose to be right back where you were which made you come to this site in the first place.  That's why ultimately it has to be the choice of Not One Puff Ever to remain free.

Lauralives

Thanks Jones, today is Day Won for me (again) and I will stay close to the sight.  I am excited and nervous.  WTH was I thinking when I started again.  Yikes the addiction is so darn strong but I am moving on.  I appreciate everyone here.

Laura

DavesTime

Thanks for this reminder, Dale.  It's very timely for me right now as I have entered NML.  I know from past experience (in fact, from MANY past experiences) that just can't keep it to one.  I can't.  "Just one puff" becomes two, becomes "I'll just finish this cigarette".  Followed by another shortly after that.  I'm struggling a bit right now.  Woke up at 5 am and just could not get back to sleep because the thought of a cigarette just would not leave my mind.  I have a choice to make--and I choose not to smoke.

Dave

47 DOF