Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

"If I had a cigarette, I would become a full time smoker again."

because I would have chosen to do it.

No one forces us to smoke.

Willpower wont stop the memories.

Willpower won't stop us from thinking about smoking.

Willpower means you're trying to not think about something.

It becomes an effort in futility.

Try not thinking about a hairy pickle.

Hairy+pickle_308119_5633662.jpg

Unlearning smoking is the only way to disconnect.

How do you do that?

You make new memories without smoking

until it clicks for you.

24 Replies
karenjones

that was the addict talking. the addict makes us think and say foolish things while we are smoking in our houses and opening the windows!

karenjones

It would take you one cigarette to become addicted again?  it would take me one puff.   therefore  NOT ONE PUFF EVER!  onward and upward!!!  NOPE

Who stops at one puff? 

Deena-A-Yenni

Onward and upward we go...

First,

Unless I had some fresh cigarettes, the first puff would taste like crap. (it's never all you expect it to be)

Then, I'd have two more puffs and get a little lightheaded from the nicotine.

Then I'd be at the jump off point of deciding if I really wanted to go on and be a full time smoker again.

See, there's still time to say, "no, I don't want to live there again" and just stop, even if you smoked.

Smoking a couple puffs doesn't have to be an excuse to smoke another 5 years.

We base a quit date on the last cigarette smoked because it's very difficult to keep track of someone who is starting and stopping. Six months credit when a person starts and stops throughout that time is not being quit. It's not judgement, just being honest with ourselves.

"The permission ALWAYS comes before the puff." 

karenjones

just like the thought comes before the craving.

MarilynH

Thanks Dale it takes time to relearn life without the smokes BUT boy oh boy it's so worth it! 

0 Kudos

If I had a cigarette in my hand I would break it apart and put it in the patio door to kill insects trying to enter my home. Cigarettes make great insecticides!Can you think of any other insecticides you'd be willing to inhale on purpose?

avian3

If I had a cigarette, I fear I would ever quit smoking again. That fear is what keeps me from ever lighting up.

I remember all my other tries to quit smoking.  I'd literally work myself up into a tizzy so that I would have that "excuse" to go buy cigarettes.  Normally it was the nobody else cares what I do or about me, then what's the point.  Off to the store I'd go.  Now I think I don't want to be tied to a lighter anymore, scurrying around trying to find a place to smoke, watching the clock until it was time to go smoke, everything was tied to smoking.

Never fear that you would smoke again.  You are the one who chooses whether to smoke or not.  Just simply accept that it's something you don't do anymore.  You're going to have thoughts pop up from time to time, but that's just a memory of how you handled life in general for most of your adult life.  When those appear, just tell yourself, boy, I'm glad I don't do that anymore.