cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

dawn37

*ppssttt ppssttt* Hey you come here.... thanks so much...

Well, midday already and things are going pretty good. I honestly cannot believe that I am mentally doing okay with all this today.   I thought for sure this entire day was going to be pretty miserable.  I must say, most of my good mood is due to my new friends here.  I was telling my husband last night; I have quit many times in the past. I have a few friends that had quit years ago and they would tell me, you can do it, don’t let your emotions take over. You have the willpower.

For some reason, those words from my reformed smoker friends do not mean anything in comparison to what my new friends here say. They might even be all the same words, but the fact that YOU are feeling EXACTLY what I am feeling at EXACTLY the same time means so much more to me in font than any words my friends can say to my face.

I truly appreciate all the time, all of you take, in giving me that support & understanding that I so desperately need at one of the most vulnerable times in my life. Recently I posted to a forum that I was having a weak moment & so many people came to my rescue telling me this will pass. Yes, of course they were right; they were just in my shoes two minutes ago. That means the world to me.

Try to make yourself a promise; yes, you have already done that by quitting, but make another promise. Tell yourself, if you do have a moment or even an hour or more of weakness, come to this site BEFORE you go buy that pack. That pack of cigarettes will most likely give you a guilt trip that will last a lot longer than that craving…and you would have gotten over all by yourself or maybe with a little help from your friends. Take the time to really think about what you are doing, because you deserve it.

Stay Strong my friends. I am with your help. Thank you so much.

3 Replies
hangzhou

You hit the nail right on the head.  It's great that we are all go through the same feelings at the same time.  And I'm looking forward to being able to tell all of you each day that I did it for another day (or rather, I didn't do it for another day).

I'm at the point where I know it won't be a cake walk to quit but I'm doing it (day four) and I won't go back.  The phoenix has risen from the ashes.

palrmt

You put everything I am feeling into words. It is amazing how much it helps to know that someone else is going through the exact same thing at the exact same time.  It's probably why I wanted my friend to quit with me.  She bailed on our quit day and I ended up doing it by myself. Or at least I thought I was by myself until I came on this website.  Now I know that I am most definitely not alone.  Although she bailed on me,  she is so super supportive.  She tells me everyday that she believes I can do it.  And that she is so jealous cause she wishes she could do it to.  That means so much to me.  But like I told someone else.  The most important thing to me is that I am proud of myself.  Everyone else's pride is wonderful, but it feels so good at the end of the day to feel proud of myself.  And to know that I fought through the cravings and came out a better person for it.  Keep up the fight cause we CAN do this.

sugarftmom1

This forum entry and the replies are exactly what I needed at this very moment! 

I smoked for over 50 years.. I am 62 now.  I don't even remember my first cigarettte.  I remember he first time I got in trouble for smoking....3rd grade.  I know, I know.  I never thought I'd quit. 

Since the first of December, I have been smoking less than 5/day.  Since January 1st, I've been smoking 1/day.  oday is he first full day of no smoking at all!

I really identify with the poster who said that it feels so very good to be proud of ourselves!  When I walked right past he ashray with a cig lying in it, I felt 10 feet tall!  

thanks for being here.  MJ