cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tracy-oliver

hello

I'm a 22 yr old lady and I have a problem with quiting smoking well thats why i'm here. I sit at home a lot the job I have isn't giving me many hrs my husband works third shift. I get bored a lot & it seems when i'm here by myself I smoke more.Another problem I have is the oral fixation,I just can't seem to fight it. Could someone help me stop?
0 Kudos
22 Replies
tracy-oliver

will you please reply im dying for a ciggerette
0 Kudos
donna22

Hi Tracy, and welcome...I read what Danielle wrote and agree 100% about the ex plan...other than that it's up to you to set a quit date. When I first quit I spent a lot of time here, that could help you with the boredom when you are home. A suggestion for the oral fixation, several people here took a drinking straw and cut it and even puffed on it....cinnamon sticks are also good, lollipops or sugar free popsicles....
You can do this Tracy, we are all here to help you, most of us came here like you, to get help to stop smoking...give it a chance, get prepared and let us know when you are ready to quit....
I'm very proud of you for doing this...
0 Kudos
gail3

hey, tracy, good luck with this. i completely understand the boredom thing. that's how i started in the first place - waiting for the guy to get home, too much tv, etc. so here's my ideas for you - get some paint. i don't care if you're not an artist. just get some kind of paints, a couple brushes, anything to paint on from paper to eggs, and just push some colors around. you don't know how satisfying it is. and all you waste is some paint. or maybe you'll even like it. if boredom is your main trigger, keep busy. and gummy bears!
0 Kudos
allyou

Quitting takes practice and more practice and more practice until you get it right. You need to go through stages. Find what works for you. GOOD LUCK
0 Kudos
polly2

hiya Tracy!! We are all here for you! Follow what Danielle says and if you have already quit, then keep on posting to us and we'll be here to help! This is not only a physical addiction, but a mental one as well. Our subconscious minds know no difference between right or wrong. We have continually fed our minds with the belief that smoking is good for us -- smoking calms me down, smoking relieves boredom, smoking picks me up, etc. In order to get a handle on this, we have to reprogram our minds. My mantra is "Smoking is not an option!" Here's a few more things that you can put into your mind:
Cravings won't killl me, but smoking will.
Each cigarette contains 4,000+ dangerous chemicals.
NO = not one
NTAP = Never take another puff
There is no such thing as one cigarette for me
What happens is that the mind gets overloaded with the craving for cigarettes -- the more we allow ourselves to think about it, the harder the cravings are. Cravings are actually a GOOD thing! It means that our mind and bodies are healing! If you ride through them, stay busy, and keep your mind occupied, you'll find it will be much easier for you! Do your best to remain positive and laugh as much as you can -- we're all here to help you with that! We all encourage one another and the support system here is totally AWESOME!! If I can help you in any other way, please feel free to drop me a post!! Congratulations on your decision to stop smoking!! WAHOOOOOOOO for YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!
0 Kudos
edith2

Tracy, I'm writing to you do see how you're doing. I remember the first week that I quit was so tough. I grabbed my son and went camping on the Oregon coast. I was away from civilization and convenience stores, which made it a little easier. But I still wanted to smoke. I guess I wanted to quit more. The hard part is temporary. I haven't known anyone to die from quitting, only from continuing to smoke. Just hang in there. You'll make it.
0 Kudos
tracy-oliver

Man I really thank you your advice it was great to here from caring ppl that have been in the same situation.Reading this really has helped me along my way.Even though I have tried to stop smoking before and i did accomplish it but there was just those days I wanted a cig. and of course I got one and couldn't let go...
0 Kudos
tracy-oliver

thank you!!!:) I'm not trying hard enough to stay strong and positive!!!!! It's so hard to let go...
0 Kudos
tracy-oliver

thanks a lot I'm trying to hold on... I have been smoking for 7 yrs i know thats not a very long time but it's long enough to get addicted..
0 Kudos