cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Suzice50

Hello I'm new

Hi,

i am 50 yrs young, lost 60 lbs and have battled Cushings syndrome along with other issues. I quit cold turkey in 2017 for 8 months. I started back in 2018 as my health took a huge dive with cushings and have stopped several times since. I set a new date for this month and have a family member I am trying to support who causes sometimes a lot of stress in my life. So I am glad I found a place where I can turn and hope I will have success this time. 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
5 Replies
Bishmeus

Welcome. Stay strong and use all the tools offered to you by this program. You got this 

Giulia

@Suzice50  Welcome to our quit family!  Looks like you've been tremendously successful at losing weight and quitting smoking.   8 months is a really strong quit.  So you must have a goodly amount of knowledge about stamina, perseverance and commitment.   You seem to indicate that you started smoking again because of Cushings.  Correct me if I'm wrong.   That was three years ago.   So it's definitely time to get that quit back.  And here you are!  Glad that you are.

Something you already know, but perhaps need a reminder of:  UNDERSTANDING EXCUSES   (And that's in reference to your family member whom you're supporting who is giving you stress. )   You obviously have it in you to stop.  You've done it before.  You just have to find the new key to the commitment and the agreement that no excuse is an allowance.  

So what's the new key going to be for you?  What's going to make quitting a priority for you THIS time?  That's what you have to figure out for yourself.  (We all had to do that.)  It takes work and some inner delving.  We're here to support you along that journey.   "Hope" is good.  But 'hope' doesn't a quit make.  Homework does ( in my book anyway).  Look within.  Find that still, acceptance place, that all-out commitment  'no matter what'  place within you.  For when you agree to the commitment No Matter What - you win the battle immediately.  (Though it may not seem like it at the moment.)  Go for it!  Glad you've joined us.

0 Kudos
Maki

Take care of you . You are important . In taking care of you it will help others . 

I don't know much about Cushing s disease . Please share if you'd like to or when you are comfortable how your journey is affected or perhaps not affected by having health issues to overcome as well .

I have chronic illnesses but I can't compare my quit to someone else's who don't have those kinds of struggles .  For them it may be something different and quitting is hard for most people.  In my mind quitting isn't harder because I have a disease , it makes me stronger and my quit easier because I understand perseverance and determination because of my illness . 

Every quit is a unique journey and every person is unique and I believe everyone has the potential to overcome addiction by the action they take to move forward .  

I am so glad you are here and hoping for better health in the days ahead . I understand unsupportive people can be a test to a quit but don't let it stand in the way of your decision to rise above . Find gratefulness in all things and in all people's and quit for you . 

So happy for you that you've chosen freedom .

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome @Suzice50  Glad you found us.  We all have stress in our lives and have to learn how to cope without smoking.  Being prepared for life events can helps us get through those difficult times.  Read as much as you can on this site to educate yourself about nicotine addiction and put a plan in place.

We're here to support you on your journey.  That support has been key for many quitters.

Barb

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on one of the greatest journeys of your life, the nonsmoking one.   You have come to the right place if you are willing to do what is necessary to be smoke-free. Foremost NOPE (not one puff ever.)   Education is the key to a successful quit. Read the suggested material it is an important step of the journey.  Here we dispel the myths and brainwashing we have learned about smoking.  You will gain tools and skills to unlearn some of the behavior smoking has created  There are Daily Pledge groups, affirmation groups you can join to help strengthen your quit.  The action is in the blogs, front and center so introduce yourself and let all of us get to know you.  If you have a question, please feel free to ask.  Someone will help.  If you have a problem with your quit type help in the blog and let us know how we can help. I suggest that you stay as close as possible until your quit grows.  Be mindful of what is going on with your quit. Know HALT Hungry Angry Lonely Tired can be confused with triggers.  Don’t give up.  We are here to support you.

Below is a little info to help you get started

Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101  was very helpful to me.            http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and  http://whyquit.com/ffn/

0 Kudos