cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

dbarris

dbarris Nicotine-Free Vision

Quitting smoking is a kind of realization that my life is coming full circle now that I'm 62 . . .  a sort of return to the days of my youth before I smoked, no longer driven by the need to get things done (for family) or tied to externalities like money, "success," work schedules, to-do lists, or even calendars.  The changing of the seasons will be good enough for me now. 

For the last "productive" 40 years, I've used many things to bind my drive and measure my time, such as smoke breaks throughout the day, drinks at the end of the workday to unwind, more drinking and smoking on weekends to clearly separate "free time" from "work time."  I'm not concerned about retiring (and probably won't retire), but I don't need those things anymore: life is good, I'm still here, time to get prepared and show some gratitude for all I have and for getting this far.

So as a visual, I choose Siddhartha meditating by a stream since I was quite influenced by that novel in my early teens.  I don't know what it will all look like, but I will know this: "I can think, I can wait, I can fast."

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
5 Replies
MarilynH

Welcome to the community @dbarris please read everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT with commitment and perseverance you will succeed in living a life of Freedom and we're all here to help you in any way we can and we are rooting you on You've got this believe it and when your day ONE arrives keep your mind as well as your hands occupied and at the end of the day you'll be able to say YAY for DAY WON with many more to come.....

0 Kudos
icpoems

attending daily mass on-line helps me develope a beneficial move in the right direction. 

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking and welcome to the EX community   You have come to the right place for support.  Meditation is an EXcellent tool to use to quit smoking. Support is also an important factor along with educating yourself about the addiction to nicotine,  Yes, addiction.  Understand the Law of Addiction. .Go to https://www.becomeanex.org/my-quit-plan/ read the information to develop a plan and learn about your triggers.   If you haven’t read it or have not been informed read Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Way to Quit Smoking”. It is in pdf on the web  It is an easy suggested read,   Also check out www.whyquit.com.  There is a lot of additional beneficial information to read and study.  Look for Freedom From Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101. Both were extremely helpful for me.  Stay close to the site and learn, ask questions. Read the blogs and most of all enjoy your commitment to quit smoking.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  

We're here for you, so reach out anytime.

Barb

0 Kudos
dbarris

Thank  you all.  I will keep checking in and read a lot more.  It's true, there's a LOT of info here, and the support is appreciated.