cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

joy6

counting the hours of cold turkey

I've been keeping an ongoing count of the hours since my last cigarette. 36 hr. now. I figured getting through the first 24 would be the hardest but today certainly hasn't been a bed of roses. It feels as if my nerves are on edge 98% of the time. My husband had said he would quit at the same time since he knew it would be too difficult to do it without him but he's still smoking and I'm feeling great resentment when I know he's going down to the "smoking room". He smokes less than me so I had figured it would be easier for him to quit.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
edith2

Drink lots of water and try your best to keep your mind off smoking. Most of quitting is mental and it's a lifestyle change. We're not light switches. Give yourself time and don't give up on yourself. You can do this.
0 Kudos
joy6

Keep my mind off smoking? Yeah, right!!!! It seems to be all I think about! From the time I wake up until I have gone to bed, I'm constantly thinking of smoking. I guess I didn't prepare well enough for this whole thing. I just had it in my head that I was going to do this. I was going to give it every effort. Right now, I'm going nuts. I walked 50 minutes this morning and I have to say it did seem to help. Maybe I should be going for another walk. It certainly can't hurt. I'm very tense and feel like biting off my husband's head!
0 Kudos

i APPLAUD YOU FOR YOUR VERY GOOD ATTEMPT AT QUITTING, I HOPE I CAN BE AS GOOD. THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES. I AM GOING TO A NEW WORK ENVIRONMENT TOMMORROW AND I WILL PROBABLY LET THEM KNOW THAT I AM TRYING TO QUIT. I MIGHT BE JONSING BUT I KNOW I HAVE GOTTEN THROUGH THIS VERY TOUGH TIME BEFORE.
0 Kudos
joy6

Are you just beginning or have you quit for awhile now? I was just wondering since you're starting a new job tomorrow. That might be a good thing in that you'll be in an environment in which you have no association with smoking. A fresh start. Thank you for your encouragement. I take streaks in the moodiness and craving. I went for a walk this afternoon when I was going nuts. Only 20 minutes but it did help. I'm scared that I'll be like so many others I know who have gained weight when they quit so I'm hoping walking will help with the metabolism. Good luck to you on the new job.
0 Kudos