cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

SimplySheri

Your Smoking Story

Everyone has one.  Some struggle, some find it easier, some are middle ground. Quitters are quirky, shaky, serious, hilarious, lost, intelligent. 

When I quit, I asked my kids to tell me I smelled pretty each and every day for a month.  I wore two different colored shoes to work and never noticed until a co-worker pointed it out.  I ate butterscotch candy when I drank coffee.  I walked a lot, I yoga'd a lot.  I learned I like being positive.  I took control of how I felt.  It was a good quit

So I would love to hear your quitting story!! What was it that pushed you into quitting?  What keeps your quit going?  How do you manage things?  What's hard?  What's easy?  Who are you?????  I hope you share with us.  Your story is important....you are important!!  And what you have to say matters    

So, what's your story?

29 Replies
SimplySheri

You ARE special, Nancy!!  And I'm so very glad your journey included the wisdom and skill of professionals   My world is better because you are in it and this site is better because you continue to be here and share.  I'm grateful.  Thank you!!!! 

YoungAtHeart

TU

avian3

It was time as I felt like an outcast. None of my friends or family smoked anymore and I was so embarrassed that I was the only one that continued with the nasty addiction. I wanted the freedom they had.

SimplySheri

Everybody wants to belong but you actually took the initiative to do something about it!!  What a story filled with inspiration and hope  . I so love that!!  Way to go!!  You rock

Lori24201

My name is Lori, I used to smoke about a pack and a 1/2 A-day which = 35 cigaret a day.  On October 30th  my husband  Was admitted to the hospital. He has been dealing with a very weak heart for the last couple of years. And this time it almost took his life. His heart function was down to 10% he had filled up with water and was basically drowning. His heart is in such bad shape, He is going to need an LVAD (left ventrical assistance device) or a heart transplant... For either of these surgical procedures he cannot be around a smoker whatsoever and I must quit and I must quit now.. On the 1st day I tried to put them down I ended up picking up the pack 7 times and smoke 7 cigarets. The 2nd day I smoke 9 cigarets the 3rd day I smoke 10 cigarettes... I am dealing with a lot of stress and anxiety. I have a 14 mg patch that I have been wearing but it doesn't seem to help much. Me urges are strong and severe and  The withdrawals are very intense. I have emotions and anxiety but I'm not sure of it has to do with the situation at hand or of its actually just from quitting smoking... I have joined several support groups when none of them seem to offer Someone to talk to when you're going through your extreme urges and cravings. That's what I need help with I don't have medication so it's getting extremely hard to fight off after I fight the urges I sometimes feel very tired and wanna go to sleep. I did notice a couple of times after going several hours without a cigaret the smoking it made me feel ill and sick to my stomach. I was very weak at the knees and light headed. Which I didn't like cause I always enjoyed smoking a cigarette. So at this point I don't know what to do or where to turn to get help. I just started this and I know is going to be very hard on me especially with all the stress it is occurring in my life.. If anybody could help or tell me what to do I sure would appreciate it because I have to do it no matter what.

PastTense

Good morning, Lori24201

I'm so sorry to hear about your husnband's heart condition.  That must be so scary for both of you and so stressful!!

Ideally, we would all wait until we were in a perfect place and time to try to quit.  That isn't very realistic so many quitters (myself included) are quitting under pressure.  And it's hard.

It's sounds like you have already started working on a quit plan.  You have gotten the patch and that's a good start.

I can tell you the two things that have helped me quit:

1. Have an actual written quit plan

2. Coming here every single day to renew and anchor my quit.

This site has a guided quit plan, which kind of walks you through the steps.  I encourage you to spend some time with it.  It may seem tedious, but it will help.  Once you know what triggers a smoke (driving, finishing a chore, a cup of coffee); you can better prepare to fight the craving. 

You might also consider throwing away all your cigarettes, lighters, and ashtrays.  It's easier to stay quit if you don't have easy access to your drug of choice. 

Post here a lot.  Read here a lot.  Post if you are having a craving and need somebody to talk you off the ledge right now!!!

This site is the most helpful place to be right now.

PT

Keep the Quit
PT
SimplySheri

Thanks for sharing, Lori24201‌.  Sounds like you have a lot on your plate but you know what?  Quitting will enhance it all, not take away from it.  Smoking is an addiction and you really need to understand what addiction does to your brain so look around here and read   Once you get it, you will be less likely to believe everything you think.  Also, find substitutions for your smoking.  Find things you like to do that won't harm you or anyone else....adult coloring books?  Deep breathing and meditation?  Reading?  Knitting, crocheting, or needlepoint?  Walking?  Yoga?  Jogging?  My point is, you need to replace the smoking times with other times.  When you're stressed, take 10 minutes to color or blow bubbles or scream into a pillow.  After dinner take a walk or watch tv or do the dishes or call your friend.  When you first wake up, take a shower, go outside and breathe, do yoga.  It takes 21 days to form or break a habit....90 days to set that habit into an automatic response.  Give yourself that time to find what you truly enjoy doing and what will work for you.  Make some friends here...so many people have good advice and stories for you   I'm saying prayers for you and your husband!!  Do not give up....oh, and talk to your doctor about your symptoms and feelings.  Maybe he/she can help or maybe you have other things going on you know nothing about.  It doesn't hurt to get checked out!! 

Thanks for being here, thanks for sharing, and I hope you have a positive quit smoking journey!!

Sheri

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I am sorry about the news of your husband's health crisis.  You CAN quit smoking now because you must.  There really is never a good REASON to smoke; there are only excuses.

To begin, if you were smoking 35 cigarettes a day, you need the 21 mg. patch to start.  The 14 is not strong enough. 

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...
The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

minihorses

lori, that's why we're here, to support everyone on their quits.  I understand where you're coming from.  My withdrawals have always been so terrible.  I get migraines, hot and cold, I want to throw up, I'm exhausted, I'm very irritable, I cry a lot and my bipolar disorder is rampant.  Thank god I found Ex where I could ask for help, gripe, celebrate my little successes, celebrating other people's successes, learn, and then helping others with their quits.  I think if you stay with us we can help you make it through.  Have faith that this addiction can be overcome.  I never thought I'd be someone to say or do that but here I am, an ex-smoker.  We can help you become one too so that you can be there for your husband.  He needs you to be present and he's counting on you for care.  That's more important as you know.  You can call on us anytime.

Lori24201

Thank you so much!!! God bless you....