cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Augustus44

75--and finally quit--14 days and counting

I am 75 years old. I can't believe it myself. On October 20th, I decided to quit smoking cigarettes. I did this because I was up for my Annual Lung CT Scan. This annual event always brings home the idea that this might be the year. Well, I escaped again--no problems. I'm lucky. I'm active, healthy, (I think)) and feel like I can do the things I have always done--however, before the CT Scan and its results, I really began to think about the physical danger I was courting, every time I lit up. I've smoked for most of my life. So why quit now? I can tell you only that I was a closet smoker ( hiding from everyone, and deluding myself), and I really couldn't stop thinking about dying in a hospital, gasping for breath, or worse, living the rest of my life, hauling an oxygen apparatus around with me--stuck on a porch. Anyway, I quit on October 20th. I'm not even close to being out of the woods on this thing at all. Surprisingly, I've had it good so far--only one day of constant craving. To cope, I've been playing my guitar,( I used to stick a lit butt between the strings  and the tuners) and  continuing to learn how to play the piano, I play golf, so I'm safe there--no body I play with smokes ( one does chew--yuck), walk my 10,000 steps per day, and pray--yes, I actually pray to God, although I wouldn't consider myself much of a Christian, and hope I can beat this. It ain't easy.  If there's anyone out there, who's around my age,  who'd like to be a pal and a fellow quitter, I'd love to hear from you. I know I'm going to need some help. 

27 Replies
indingrl

Welcome - Yahooooooooooo - 14 DAYS NICOTINE FREEDOM - WAY TO GO! CONGRATS NON SMOKER LIFE STYLE- GOOD JOB! 

0 Kudos
Augustus44

Thank you for your support, it means a lot. 

0 Kudos
aboyd63

Congratulations on your quit . You can do this quit just take it day by day . If you want I will gladly be a fellower quitter but everyone in here will help each other anytime or at least thats what I've found out.Keep being smokefree you'll be glad you do stay smokefree. 

Augustus44

I would appreciate your encouragement. Please stick with me--I want to help others, but I'm up to my epaulets in my own "quit." Thank you so much for writing back. 

0 Kudos
meWisconsin

You made a great decision to quit smoking. Now just take it one day at a time. 14 days smoke-free is fantastic. Keep up the good quit.

Terry

0 Kudos
Augustus44

Thank you Terry; your encouragement means a lot. 

0 Kudos
Barbara145

Welcome.  I am 72.  I quit 6 years ago with this site.  It was rough for a while but it is so worth it. I smoked for 52 years.  Stay close to this site.  I couldn't have done it without all the support.  You can do it!

MarilynH

Welcome to the community you've made the best decision that you'll ever make in your lifetime and it's definetly the best gift that any of us will ever give ourselves which is the gift of LIFE congratulations on your precious quit journey YAY for each and every Day WON with many more to come.....

Augustus44

Thank you Marilyn. Your encouragement is greatly appreciated.