cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kesha2

You would think it wouldn't be so hard for me to quit

Everyone at work thinks that I've quit smoking about five months ago. The thing is I smoke one in the morning before taking my shower and then smoke a few after I get home in the evening. I go a whole eight hours without a cig, and then fall off the wagon and smoke when I get back home. I'm really tired of smoking and smelling like smoke, as well as the clothes I wear while smoking, and the clothes I put on which are clean, but smell like an ashtray as well because I smoke indoors. If anyone can give me some tips I'm willing to listen and try them. Thanks for reading
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
marcia

Kesha, I too am doing the quiet smoking at home. Worried about people smelling it on my clothes, etc, I suspect that I'm a lot older than you and I've been at this game a lot longer.

I've started using the nicotine lozenges. They do help through the day but not in the early AM or in the evening. How does this addiction end when you really need to stop smoking?

We are soul mates.......

Marcia
0 Kudos
kesha2

Well i tried patches and they worked wonders, but the adhesive on them gave me a rash so I had to stop using them. Maybe I'll try the lozenges, because cold turkey is not working for me
0 Kudos
kesha2

thanks so much for the words of encouragement
0 Kudos
marcia

Thank you for coming into this discussion. It's very helpful to know that others are trying hard ... and succeeding to end this addiction.... I cheer you on!
0 Kudos
rebecca6

Hi Kesha,
I know what you are going through. I can recommend that you change your routine. When you get up in the morning, pop in a piece of nicotine gum instead of smoking that cigarette. Chew it while you drink your coffee, while you are in the shower, etc. Buy some new perfume or some teeth whitener. When you are getting ready for work, spray on your new perfume, realize how fresh your breath smells after not smoking, try some teeth whitener or another piece of nicotine gum. On your way home from work, when you are starting to crave those cigarettes that you smoke at night, put on a low dose nicotine patch, go to the gym, or go for a walk. Can you see what I am getting at? Change your regular routine, Notice how deep you can breath in since you haven't smoked all day. If you are still having a craving, chew a piece of nicotine gum. How does that sound?
0 Kudos
rebecca6

try putting them on a different part of your body. The top back portion of my back works best for me and my bra strap helps to keep in place
0 Kudos
kristie2

Kesha, I am 33 years old and have been smoking for about 16 years and I am currently 6 monhs pregant with my third daughter. I am trying so hard to quit!!!!! I have been able to cut down from about 16 cigs a day to 6 to now 3 or 4 a day. I feel so bad everytime I light a cig but can't seem to stop completly. I know we can do this and I think the more support we have the better. YOU can quit, you just have to keep telling yourself that!!! Good Luck!! You are a strong women and YOU HAVE the power to quit as do I!
0 Kudos
kesha2

We can do this, all we have to do is believe that we can. We both need to stop thinking of ourselves and start thinking more of the people we might leave behind due to smoking. We know the damage it can cause and need to get motivated and stop! Thanks so much for your message, please keep me informed of your progress.
0 Kudos
tracey2

this is my story, too. I enjoy the morning cig. It's my favorite. Our workplace is smoke free and I have adopted nicely. when I know I can't smoke it's not an issue. I can't be trusted to be alone. I go for that cigarette then. I only smoke outside because my family is unaware of my habit, so sometimes it gets pretty hard and I can't wait for them to go to bed or away. I have cut myself down to 2/3 cigs a day. the weekends i am so bad. Since no one knows I smoke it would be hard for me to explain stop smoking aids. I am trying to be done with this habit on the 1st. You think it would be easy when I only smoke so few, but they are the hardest. I will also dread the weekends and stressful situations because my friend, the cigarette, gives me comfort. With this site I am deriving such support and encouragement to believe I can actually do this and if I fail they will be here to pick me not beat me up!!!
0 Kudos