cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lucia

Writing Your Good-bye Letter to Cigarettes

Cutting your emotional ties to smoking is an important part of preparing to quit. When you write a “goodbye” letter to cigarettes, you do exactly that. This letter doesn’t have to be long or fancy. It just has to be from the heart.
Instructions:
1. Read the sample letter below.
2. Write a letter saying good-bye to cigarettes. You can write the letter on your own. Or if you need
some help use the questions outlined in each paragraph to help you along.
3. Read your letter over. Save it in your journal.

Sample Letter

Dear Cigarettes,

We’ve been together for many years. I remember the day we met – my first drag. I didn’t like you at first, but you certainly grew on me. And then I couldn’t resist you. We really had some great times. Hanging out with my buddies, taking walks together on a sunny day. Or just sitting with a cup of coffee and reading the newspaper.
And you were always there for me when things got rough. In fact, I’ve always thought of you as a good friend.
But the truth is, you’re no friend at all. You’re making me sick. I have a hacking cough that never goes away. I can barely climb a flight of stairs. I’m tired of you. Tired of living my life around you. Getting dirty looks from my boss when I go out to smoke. Tired of my spouse’s complaints. Tired of stinking and having yellow teeth and fingers. And the money. The thousands of dollars I’ve spent on you. If I had saved all that money, I could probably retire early. Enough is enough. Sure, we’ve had some good times. But it’s not worth the cost. So I’m saying good-bye. Because you don’t control me anymore. And you never will again.

Letter Form
When you write you letter, here are some things to think about:
• Your fond memories of smoking
• What smoking has cost you – in money, other relationships, and your health
• Your personal reasons for quitting
Dear
1st Paragraph: How long have you smoked? When did you start? How did you feel when you began smoking?
2nd Paragraph: What has smoking cost you? Has it affected your health and your relationships? The way
you feel?
3rd Paragraph: What are your personal reasons for quitting?
4th Paragraph: How do you feel right now? How do you hope to feel in the future?
0 Kudos
12 Replies
robin

My “fond” memories well that’s a crock but here it goes, my “release of stress” after meals, or stress, or victories or defeats you have been in my life just to take my life, well at 36 I am still capable of putting my foot down.

This habit has cost my unknown amount of finance and situations due to priority over truly necessities of life for myself and children. I cringe when I think of the health issue brewing in my body from the years of damage I have done to myself, the only reason that matters for quitting is that it is right not to smoke and wrong to smoke.

By daily awareness of my disease refocus my mind for acceptance and response, I have a new theory to fight the cravings, its “What am I afraid of” if I can answer this with my mind then what is the reason, benefit, escape or comfort from such a disconnected poisonous thing?
0 Kudos
godzila

Dear LUCIA,

I read your post & i think that everybody should think the future of your body whenever you smoke. Its very bad & this cause many problems in old age. We should understand the way of good life without any disease cause by smoking. I read No Smoking book it was really nice experience. BTW thanks for your nice post
0 Kudos
stan

What a wonderful idea (the letter to cigarettes). I have been smoking for a very long time, feel that I'm very addicted and need all the help I can get. I'm definitely going to do the letter. Thanks!
0 Kudos