cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

littlestream

Wishy-Washy

I want to quit...but for some reason I'm not real motivated. I'm not quite sure why I feel this way...kind of like I don't care one way or the other.

Does anyone else feel this way?

I want to WANT it. I hate it, I'm sick of it, I have chronic autoimmune issues that would definitely benefit from quitting (well, who wouldn't?) I just can't find my want anywhere and need it in order for the quit to work!

HELP ME!!!

7 Replies

I used to be like that. I wanted it but I didnt want to actually put the work in. I finally got that motivation. My brother is 46 and has COPD. We both have smoked the same number of years. Im the healthy one. I have 5 kids and they want me to quit. I always would tell them "mommy will quit one day". Well March 22, 2013 was the day. I am the biggest procrastinator in the world so this is a huge move on my part.  No one can give you that motivation. One day you will get that fire you need to make the commitment. Good luck!!

0 Kudos
philly33

Yes prayer always helps.I believe one of the most tricky parts is when your feelings come invovle like when a bad situation come your way and you think that ciggeratte is the helping hand and its not.
0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

I know this is an old topic but it seems like a great topic and perhaps a feeling that may be at least semi common even if some people haven't been able to write it down here in the community. I wonder if there are others who might feel similar to how @littlestream has felt. Not sure if you are still on the site but if you are, please pop on and let us know how you are currently and if your mentality changed and how you overcame it.  Certainly if there are others who come upon this reply I'm curious if you too have felt "wishy-washy" like the author of this post and where you are now and/or how you overcame or plan to overcome it.

EX Community Admin Team
maryfreecig

Yes, addiction causes a kind of Catch 22 in my opinion--as smokers we have to draw out our resolve to quit. It's not as though we are eagerly bursting with ambition to quit. If only!!! Little did I know how much I would have to relearn life. There was no immediate REWARD!!! And little did I know how much I would need to relearn rewards. Back then, I thought it was solely an attitude issue--all about the soul, spirit, making the mind say yes. But for me it has been a delicate combination of action, faith of some kind, and a willingness to find the kind of quit I was really looking for. I've found it, but it's hard to but into words.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@maryfreecig Thanks for sharing your viewpoint even if it is hard to put into words.

EX Community Admin Team
Akramer0

That’s exactly what I’m going through now. I happen to work at a gym and none of my family smokes so there is a small desire to quit but I feel like I just don’t care enough. I want to do it for myself, but it’s hard because I still want to vape. I am trying to wean myself off with using the patch. 

maryfreecig

Thanks for sharing. I quit almost nine years ago. Now I have no regrets but at first it is hard to see how warped our thinking becomes be addiction. Keep learning abput nicotine and recovery. One day at a time you can do this.

0 Kudos