cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Kristih78

Who has gained 30 pounds?

Oh my, I quit smoking February 15th , I dont have cravings I honestly never want to smoke again. The problem is I was working out ,on a strict diet since the moment I stopped smoking 4 months later I have gained 30 pounds . I feel doomed , I feel like I am being punished for quitting smoking. I was losing weight at first ,but it just came to a stand still after 10 pounds lost. Yes ,I ate junk just like I did before I quit smoking but was able to lose 23 pounds because I was strict most of the time but if i eat junk now  i gain 5 pounds even though I'm very strict  . Who has had this problem? Does anyone know how long it takes for your body to regulate. Quit smoking ,you can do it is what everyone says ,but what about the support for the effects of quitting , gaining weight has depressed me to the point of crying and not wanting to leave the house  falling into a depression that I just cant get out of ,does anyone else feel this way? The only difference I feel from quitting smoking is a big fat body that I am stuck with . Although I'm sure there are benefits I just dont see them right now. Please know this is not a reason to start smoking again and I know that and have no plans to start again, I just need to resolve this weight thing so I can be proud of quitting ,at this point, I'm not all.Sorry to be so negative, these are real feelings that I have been having and any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Tags (1)
23 Replies
Lvyles

I found a great walking app that I’m using to help me stay motivated to get out and walk.  It’s called Walking for weight loss and has really helped.  It super easy to use.  Don’t be discouraged.  I quit smoking right after I lost my job so not having an outlet like work to keep me busy has made it more difficult to keep the weight off but I know it’ll all work out. I’ve always worked so it’s been difficult but I keep looking at my quit list and take it one day at a time.  You got this and we are here for you...don’t stress over it. 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Just to say I totally understand your grief and the dilemma.  I don't want to trade being happy about one thing to be sad about something us.  For some of us, weight is a big issue. In my case, it was made an issue from an early age and therefore impacts my self image.   There are those who will never understand how depressing it can be because they never had a weight problem when they were younger.  I lost 36 lbs. last year before I quit smoking and had no intentions of attempting to quit smoking until I had lost some weight.  Many years ago I lost 100 lbs. so it's been a life long battle trying to keep weight off.  So far, I've gained about 10 lbs. and it finally seems to have leveled off.  I exercise a lot, but can't say I'm eating as healthy as I should be right now.  I'm at least allowing myself that temporarily to protect my quit.  Logically, I know how more important it is that I quit smoking, but that doesn't negate how I feel emotionally.  We're both pretty early in our quits, so I'm giving myself some more time to adjust.  Don't give up yet!

Barb

141 DOF

0 Kudos
indingrl

I have do I get a prize?

TW517

I gained 10 pounds very quickly, then another 16 pounds within a few months for a total of 26 lbs gained.  It wasn't until I had a solid 7 months nicotine free that I felt comfortable enough to concentrate on my weight.  Like roller831‌ said, no need to torture yourself.  I was just consciously more aware of my food intake, and stepped up my workouts a little bit.  I joined Weight Watchers, and loved their recipes.  But WW isn't necessary.  it's really just sensible eating.  It took me a little over 3 months to return to my pre-quit weight.

0 Kudos
Sandy-9-17-17

I finally think my metabolism has kicked back in, as I have been bicycling some pretty tough routes with my son, and I am starting to lose a pound here and there!   Yay !!!  Don't give up on your quit over a little or more weight gain!  Master first things first!  Quitting, and when you have it down, then you work on the rest!   I absolutely love my smoke free life!

0 Kudos
GyorgyiM

Totally revamped my eating habits....At first when I stopped smoking I craved (believe it or not) healthier foods...such as Avocados, nuts, dried fruit and real fruit as well ( I was never a big snacker, just ate the 3 meals a day and was satisfied ). So of course I gained nearly 15 pounds and had stomach issues, bloating, fullness, etc....but still it was worth NOT SMOKING no matter how miserable I got, and believe me I did 

Then I did some research and reinvented my food sources and eating habits...Entered Probotics into my daily food source. I eat "Activia" daily. I learned how to make "Miso Soup" from scratch and that is LOTS of fun because you can literally put anything in it, veggies, greens, protein, noodles, seaweed,  etc and each time I eat it I feel like I am at some Asian restaurant! I eat one piece of fruit every day, and just limit my nuts and dried fruits. Sourdough bread (has probotics) instead of french (white) bread.

I have lost 3 pounds of "unwanted belly fat" thus far after about 2 weeks on this new regime, and the bloat has subsided a lot...

It just takes some time and education to  focus and  learn about your own body. Some things work, some things don't...............

but the bottom line is...........WE ARE NON SMOKERS !!

WE GOT THIS...

Miles of Smiles

Sandy-9-17-17

I am so happy to hear you are feeling better too.  The bloating was a nightmare for me, but just not big enough to end my successful quit journey!  Miso Soup hey?  I am going to look into this one!  It sounds really good! I have lost some belly inches, and have upped my fiber intake, I found these cute little brownies that are only 90 calories, including chocolate chips, and a little cinnamon roll one, but they are a little 2 x 2 inch squares, and quite satisfying for sweets.   I have one for morning snack and one for afternoon snack.  I cut out all of the nuts aside from the slivered almonds in my homemade granola, pistachios are my favorite but I cut them too, and I am still using the two products from swanson vitamins that I found.  I have had no belly bloat, and soon I am going to try cutting them out as well, and if the belly bloat starts back up, then I will just start them back up.   I love yogurt, thinking I will try adding the Activia too!  Looks like we like a lot of the same foods, hmmmmm!  Dinner  plans ?    

We do got this, and I am so glad that we do!  I don't even miss the habit of lighting up anymore, it seems so far back in my world!

WE ARE CHAIN NON SMOKERS!    And we are rockin it!

GyorgyiM

Yup! 43 years I was a "serial smoker" and now I am breathing free and clear, but always on the look out for that nasty memory bug...Can't let yourself get too comfortable or cocky.

Will keep you informed on any new developments tummy wise or new foods to try...

Education, information and trial and error is the way...

Smiles and Hugs...

linda258

You don't have to gain weight.  Some people exchange food for smokes.  Maybe exchange exercise instead. 

Smoking does not make you skinny (until the end)… look around and see who is smoking... something about needing to put something in your mouth.  

I used sugar free gum and it helped me stop eating. 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Actually smoking does keep you thinner.  

03/7Nicotine

Nicotine

NICOTINE: Since cigarettes contain nicotine, a chemical compound found in tobacco, cigarettes become addictive. Once you are in the habit of having at least one cigarette in a day, your appetite starts becoming less. This is because nicotine suppresses your appetite and forms a layer on your tongue which makes food look unappetizing to you.

LOSS OF APPETITE: This loss of appetite means that you stop having proper meals. Therefore, cigarette addicts often prefer having a cigarette than having food. This may make you lose weight but this actually means that your body starts becoming calorie and nutrient deficient.