cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

When you are a full time bartender how do you quit?

I am a full-time bartender and see people light up cigarettes all night long and have to deal with boozed up people so the stress and visual display of cigarettes drives me nuts!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
cindy25

Wow, I think that would be the equivalent of people that need to quit smoking and have a smoking spouse. That is extra tough but can be done. if you follow the Ex plan you can use your job as a trigger. Smoke before or after your job but not during your shift. Not one!!! Practice being a nonsmoker at work. You will see that it can be done. The Ex plan gives you confidence in your ability to get through your day without smoking when you think you "need" to. This is a great plan. Try it. Pick a quit date in two weeks and do it. I was sure I wouldn't be able to NOT smoke in my car. I learned that I could be a nonsmoker and still drive!!!! I quit after that. Amazing! Try it. Follow the plan and just do it!!!!
0 Kudos
manofsteele

Being Smoke Free is possible....Learn to believe in yourself.

Just Do it... Stop making excuses to smoke..... Working at a Bar is just another excuse .... there are a million excuses

Write down why you want to quit and make up your mind that you do not want to spend your latter days in hospitals, doing Chemo, radiation, waiting on doctors and nurses and finding out who your real friends are that will visit you dying in there very slowly.

I know plenty of Smoke Free bartenders.... and I will be real proud of you when you decide to join that group !

peace
0 Kudos
cindy25

Well, unless you plan to change jobs right away- I would say that you HAVE to do something about it. I sure didn't feel like putting myself in risky trigger situations for several weeks after I quit. Have vacation time to use? I had much better luck working the behavioral part of my smoking by using this program. Why don't you at least try it. If it fails, you will have to take time off work and or find another job.
0 Kudos