cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Woowoo88

When does it get easier?

Jump to solution

Been a smoker for 30 yrs. Have asthma and copd. Was hospitalized in aug of this year was told by dr i need to quit or die. Im having a hard time. Any advice?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Barbara145

Welcome.  You have come to the right place.  It gets easier when it gets easier.  If it was easy, no one would smoke.  I had to promise myself, "No matter what I wanted, no matter how I was feeling, a cigarette would not be the answer."  I honored that promise to myself. That was 6 years ago.  I smoked for 52 years.  I also have Asthma and COPD.  Many of us here do.  You can do this.  Coming to this site everyday is a huge part of our recovery.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Barbara145

Welcome.  You have come to the right place.  It gets easier when it gets easier.  If it was easy, no one would smoke.  I had to promise myself, "No matter what I wanted, no matter how I was feeling, a cigarette would not be the answer."  I honored that promise to myself. That was 6 years ago.  I smoked for 52 years.  I also have Asthma and COPD.  Many of us here do.  You can do this.  Coming to this site everyday is a huge part of our recovery.

Woowoo88

yes i have quit as of aug 3 2019 when i was hospitalized. I've been on nicotine patches since. It's very hard but I am hanging in there. I still have the craving. 

0 Kudos
marciem

Hi there... have you quit?  For how long?

As Barbara145‌ said, it gets easier when it gets easier... it is different for every one.  The promise is, and I personally guarantee it.... it DOES get easier.  For me it was "slowly but surely", no wake up one day free of smoking craves or thoughts, but gradually it did get to where I could look back and say "Today isn't as difficult as last Monday" (for example).

I don't have asthma, but do have severe COPD and today I go for tests for follow up to see if my lung cancer caused by smoking is still gone.  Quitting is the most important and beneficial thing you can do in your life, and the initial struggle is more than worth the benefits to follow.

It really does get easier!!  When it gets easier...

jonimarie

Many of us were in the same spot you are in now

Scared and afraid

COPD, asthma, etc  and being told the best thing we can do for our health is quit

This is a wonderful supportive group who understand how you feel

Read though the EX Plan and pick a quit date

Read the daily blogs and blog about how you are feeling

Welcome to EX

0 Kudos