cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

When did you know enough was enough

I've been thinking about quitting for so long and just haven't felt like I've reached the point where I really have to. I don't want to smoke u till I have  a hole in my throat but I also haven't been conscious of worsening health on my end. So I want to know what you're "I have to quit" moment was. 

Labels (1)
22 Replies
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  Have to say for health reasons.  I was diagnosed with mild emphysema  (no symptoms) and realized I may still have time to do something about it before it's too late.  It took me a another year after that though.

So why not join the quitters here.  You have nothing to loose and everything to gain.  We're here to support you on you journey to becoming an ex-smoker.

Barb

elvan

Got sick, REALLY sick, could not breathe. I wanted to quit for a very long time but it took that serious illness & this site to make it work. I have COPD & l am always short of breath, it’s been over seven years quit. Oxygen 24:7.

Ellen

green1611

Good question ! There will many views and every one's answer will be right !

For me it was like pinching to myself that I am slave..... addiction is slavery !

The time was when I was alone and realised... it !

Within few weeks of this, I ventured into quit smoking project.. seven years back !

I enjoy freedom now since then .. last seven plus years ! Great feeling.

maryfreecig

Health may be a strong reason to quit, but most addicts don't quit because they (we) see the light. At the age of 20, 30, 40, 50 I felt reasonably strong--smoking seemed like a problem/nonproblem. Who at those ages, especially 20s,30s,40s believes they will get sick or grow old and sick or anything like that?

I didn't have a magic moment. Now as I look back, I know why. It's not about getting a really good feeling about quitting (yah, it can be for some). It's about realizing that quitting is possible, not impossible, no matter what. That's the moment I had over 7.25 years ago. 

I'm healthier today than I was then. Only then, I thought I was pretty strong. Being drenched in smoke and nicotine for decades blinded me to my true condition.

CrazyQuitter

I mainly quit so I could be happier and not feel trapped in the addiction. I also didn't want to stay that way. I really wanted the benefits if being a non smoker.

MarilynH

How are you doing Stopsmoking1997?

0 Kudos
nevergiveup

Stopsmoking1997‌ Not sure if you'll be back to the site or not but I felt inclined to answer regardless. My habits have changed over the years. I started smoking in my partying teenage years. Didn't seem to start bothering me until I was about 25. That's when I stopped smoking inside my house and car cause it was just gross and I had kids. Fast forward about 20 more years of only smoking outside (not sure how many $ later not to mention years off the end of my life) and I started absolutely loathing being a smoker. This has been the past five years of dwelling on it and beating myself up pretty much daily. My breathing has changed. I haven't been diagnosed with anything but I'm not done living yet and know my body well enough to just be done. Several failed attempts and i am now on day 3 of what I hope and pray to God is it. I've drug myself through way more than enough mental anguish. Over it. Hope you make your way back. EX has helped me. It can help you too at your own pace.

Martha 

Rachy2283

Congrats on 3 days nevergiveup‌!!  it seems like just a week ago I was at 3 days and now it has been 31 days.  Keep taking it one day at a time and great job on making the decision  you can do it!!

0 Kudos
nevergiveup

Thanks Rachy2283‌!

iamfreedom

I realize now that with my high cholesterol and smoking, I will have a heart attack,  I'm 49. I'm not ready to die.

0 Kudos