cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

luapnodyl

What strategies help you deal with doubt?

Hi. I've set my quit date and have two weeks to go. Counting my cigarettes has really helped and I realised I was smoking more than I thought. Problem is that as I get nearer to the big day I've started rationalising setting the date back. I know from experience if I do that then it'll be another several months before I try again. Some of my excuses have been very creative up to and including 'why quit, you've probably done the damage already so what could you possibly gain?'.

It'd be useful to hear if anyone else has had this and what sort of strategies you have used to help deal with the seductive little arguments that pop up in your head to convince you to keep smoking a bit longer. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
29 Replies
luapnodyl

Hi - thanks for the advice. 

I've managed to quit for up to a year a few times, usually with the help of lozenges, but have always gradually drifted back into smoking. The strange thing is that those times I have quit I've been stuck by how good it feels to not smoke but there's always an urge sitting at the back of my mind telling me I am missing something pleasurable that seems to win each time. I've heard good things about the Alan Carr book so I'll get a copy for my Kindle and start reading it. I also really think this group will help - it feels really different to be talking to other people who are either in or have gone through the same process. In the past it's just been me so this is new rather than the same old solo effort and I feel optimistic. It's good to share.

TerrieQuit

This group really helped me a lot!

0 Kudos
Finchie1

I really liked what you posted about the Lilac tree.  I am from back east and I live out west now and theres not much like that here.  I can't wait to be done with this initial hump and start on the freedom train.  I am so up and down with my outlook it's driving me crazy.  I signed up on the site and did what I was supposed to do but I don't think I really realized until just a few days ago how this is all supposed to work.  I am "starting over" in a sense I guess now that I have more of an idea about all this.  Like someone posted, reading really helps.  I need to keep getting on the site more.  I am going to make more of an effort with that. Thank you!

Finchie1‌, you will be up and down with your outlook because you're divorcing your best friend, giving your significant other the boot, kicking out your party partner.  For so long we gave that little white stick all the power.  We told it that it comforted us when we were down, gave us companionship when we were lonely, calmed us down when we were stressed/angry/frustrated.  In reality, it did nothing for us.  It make us cough, wheeze, not able to smell, catch our breath.  Now, really, would a best friend do that to us?  I don't think so.  Like most of us when we starting smoking, we were children or college students, young adults looking to either fit in or be cool.  Now in our adulthood you wonder why you still continue to smoke because you no longer need to look cool.  it's our brains telling us that we need more nicotine, view the video on this site and also posted on my page under featured content.  We were always told this was a habit, remember those commercials years ago, break the habit, kick the habit.  Well, more research has been done and they are learning more and more about what exactly nicotine does to a body.  Give it 30 days.  the first two weeks if you have to take a drive when it gets too much, scream your head off in the car, release that tension, distract yourself.  There's also a link in that blog for 100 things to do instead of smoking and also an add on with many more.  This site helped me with my quit and now helps me stay quit.  If you don't want to blog, get yourself a little notebook, write down your feelings, hang on to it and you'll be going back to it from time to time.  I go back to my blogs every so often to reinforce myself and read over the advice I've been given.  Hang in there, you two, you can do this !!!!!

Lauralives

Thank you!  I really needed to hear what you wrote.  Tomorrow is my quit day and I have quit more than 20 times.  I am so happy to have this site and all of you to and draw strength and courage from as move forward as a non-smoker!!

Giulia

Lauralives‌  Doesn't matter how many times you've quit - this time can be your last time if you want it to be.  Accept the choice you chosen.  And be willing to go through whatever you need to, to get to where you want to be  Which is free from this addition.  You must eliminate the options to smoke in your mind.  You must eliminate any and all excuses that your mind can come up with.  That's part of what "acceptance" means.  If you're willing to do that - you need never have another Day One.  If you don't think you're quite able to be that willing, then you need find a way to become so.  That's part of the homework necessary.  Reading on here will help give you those incentives.  Start out with some reading in https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex?sr=search&searchId=d10944ef-dc3f-4f36-b908-d046...  Chin up and have heart.  Take tomorrow and a challenge to discover the best of you.  This is one of the most empowering experiences we can go through in life.  Just take it one day at a time.  Just get through tomorrow.   And let us know how it's going.  

Lauralives

Thanks Giulia, I'm taking it one day at a time and will check in with EX a lot!  This is the piece I did not have on previous quits and it will make all the difference.  I am empowered!!

TerrieQuit

Hello, I am an oxygen patient and had the same thoughts as you, however, I quit for over 500 days and was able to get off of oxygen completely a few months hack I did have a one day relapse that's why you will notice that I have 53 days now. My point is that there are many, many benefits to quitting! I just mentioned my biggest benefit! Congratulations on making the decision to quit! It the best one you will ever make!   ~Terrie~

luapnodyl

Thanks - it's good to hear it has been such a positive experience for you. I agree that one day of weakness is a killer - literally. Well done on keeping it to just one day. Usually for me that one cigarette after months of not smoking draws me back in. That's my challenge.

0 Kudos
Finchie1

Hi there. I am just starting this and the question of how will I feel about myself if I have a relapse? Will I feel disappointed, mad, defeated or all of those? How did you feel when you had yours? Congrats to you on getting right back on track by the way!!!