cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

sharpie62

What medications work best for people?

Hi there. I've set my quit date for May 22nd so I can go away and hide for a few days while I try to quit.

This is my 5th time trying to quit (obviously, I've been unsuccessful so far). I've tried Zyban (which made me have panic attacks), gum,, "the patch", lozenges, hypnosis (three times), and just going cold turkey. I've thought about Chantrix but am very concerned about having weird reactions as I had with Zyban (which was awful - I had to go on Paxil for 6 months to 'recalibrate').

1) Has anyone else had a bad reaction to Zyban?; and 2) what have peoples' experiences been with Chantrix?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
hothula

aloha I used the patch and stuck with it it was great for me. I think besides cold turkey they all have some sort of side effect you just have to pick the one that you tolerate the best. then you have to rely on yourself and NOT smoke no matter what. you will do it
0 Kudos
murel

I used Chantix and have only had mild nausea. But I too tryed Zyban and had no side effects from it. The Chantix works great my quite date was May 8th and haven't had any real bad craves yet.
Murel
0 Kudos
sharpie62

Thanks for the support & feedback! I might try "Commit" lozenges & Chantrix and see what happens. For me, it's probably more about not letting myself off the hook than about which medication I choose.
0 Kudos
dian

I've done patches and cold turkey....... cold turkey seems to work best for me, just get that stuff out of my system and fight the tiggers which seemed to be easy this time with all the great support around here.
0 Kudos