cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

istenya

What is the single most important thought that has kept you quit?

Thought I'd give a topic, figured it was time. But, this is also about sharing experience, strength, and hope, and I figured this encompasses all three:) For me, it has been affirming my self-worth. Knowing no matter what shit I may be going through, I really don't need to self-sabotage my life by smoking. As romantic and rebellious as I would love to say smoking has been for me, it really has been nothing but proof of how much I still had to work on my self-esteem. But now that I have value in myself, I am finding it a lot easier to stay quit this time.
23 Replies
mr1957

For me, the thought has been" I dont smoke, period" To me quiting is an on going never ending grind. I didnt quit shooting dope, I surrendered and begged God to remove the obsession to use. Same principals applied here. I finally had had enough pain around smoking that I am willing to surrender. God, go figure. So when I have a craving I know it is bullshit. Now understand that I dont think I have all the answers, because I dont. I have been on the stop smoking rollercoaster for 3yrs and it has been a year since the last time I had 25 days. The difference for me is what I first discribed on this blog, the second is I'm really tired of being sick and tired!!!! If you can relate give me a Hellya....Later
istenya

Hellya!
0 Kudos
istenya

Nice! That was really sweet. I bet your kids feel so good about that. I especially loved the part about bragging. It's gotta be one of the best rewards of being a great parent.
0 Kudos
sherri10

I only get to claim one reason????

I guess it would be the fear of ending up like my nanny when she died of emphazema. Actually being able to hear her litterally drowning in the fluid in her lungs.
0 Kudos
bonnie4

Don't pick up, no matter what!!!! Smoking is not going to solve anymore problems than using did for me. The gifts that I have received as a result of staying clean are amazing! Working the 12 steps has helped me to be comfortable with who I am, let go of who I was, and embrace who I am becoming! Quitting smoking is just another area of my life that I am working the steps on and so far, so good.
0 Kudos
mr1957

Good for you Bonnie!! I am doing the same.
0 Kudos
tommy3

hellya

I just don`t want to die with a smoke in my hand or a bottle of booze in my hand!
So,God help me!
0 Kudos
sherri10

My mom litterally died with a cigarette in her hand. She was smoking in bed and fell asleep, like she always did. She never woke up again. That's the image I have left of her. Laying in bed with a cigarette........motionless.

I want to die pulling weeds in my garden..........without an O2 tank next to me.
0 Kudos
12Finally34

Brainwash my brain has helped me these past 16 days!!

Following directions helped me to stay focus and remembering my primary purpose for being on this site.