cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

istenya

What is the single most important thought that has kept you quit?

Thought I'd give a topic, figured it was time. But, this is also about sharing experience, strength, and hope, and I figured this encompasses all three:) For me, it has been affirming my self-worth. Knowing no matter what shit I may be going through, I really don't need to self-sabotage my life by smoking. As romantic and rebellious as I would love to say smoking has been for me, it really has been nothing but proof of how much I still had to work on my self-esteem. But now that I have value in myself, I am finding it a lot easier to stay quit this time.
23 Replies
12Finally34

Today, I added another reason what keeps me going forward: I do not want to start over.  

I accept I will have a long road of ups and downs.  45 years of destruction is not an overnight repair

I am coming to believe that quitting is doable - I believe in Carr's statement that I can make this journey hard or easy.  I am choosing easy by dismissing the old ideas about cigarettes and replacing new information.

I have made a decision to use the strategies of meditating, making a gratitude list, attending nicotine meeting and breathing as my Higher Power for now.

Today, I am so grateful for not feeling that impending doom and the fight or flight sensation when i mingled with the outside world.  Grateful for not putting judgement on my surroundings and interactions with people.

12Finally34

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Smoking is no longer an option in my life anymore. 

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Realizing that I've not gone far enough in understanding my tobacco predicament, and looking forward to the day I no longer honor in anyway those smoking days. The only way to LIVE again is to forge ahead. Meanwhile life is happening..he, he.

Awesome question. Enjoying reading the responses.

0 Kudos

that's just not part of who I am anymore

0 Kudos
bonniebee

Never want to go back to Day 1 NEF !!!

0 Kudos
MarilynH

I don't want to end up dying a slow painful death that's most likely caused by smoking and I never want to go back to Day One only Days WON! 

12Finally34

Thanks Marilyn,

Sitting here looking at commercial about second hand smoke with my fragile 41 days smoke free.

I feel and think the same way about how I want my finally days without smoke relating conditions.  

Each day of not smoking, I am seeing the symptoms that kept me smoking isolation, loneliness and poor self image.

I am concentration on being smoke free and being vigilant about my symptoms for continuing smoking for 45 years.

KMC56

Do not want to go back to day one..ever.  One day a time, I no longer smoke...not part of my life anymore.

~Kathy 

Brianairb2

Hellya!...that I never want to feel simultaneously enslaved by the feeling of being poisoned.  That's how it felt, and I thought that I couldn't help but keep poisoning myself.  What I'm experiencing now is freedom, and I am working everyday to savor and preserve it.

elvan

The memory of breathing without difficulty...the memory of being able to walk up hills, to run, to do things that required exertion.  I know I can't go back there but I CAN slow the progress of the damage I have done to myself.