cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mieczdj

What do you look forward to?

Before I quit I heard about all of the benefits.  Your teeth will be whiter.  You won't smell bad anymore.  Your health will be better.  Etc.  Day 3 and something unexpected happened.  My normally unrelenting allergies have lessened.  I can smell again.  I didn't even realize how much I missed the subtle smell of food, perfumes, and even a car exhaust.  I am enjoying this reborn sensation quite a lot.  That made me start thinking of what else I can look forward to.  My sense of taste sharpening,  walking up a flight of stairs and not losing my breath, using my life as a lesson to my grandkids, one day, on why they shouldn't smoke.  What do all the newest Exes look forward to?  What were some of the surprise benefits of quitting for some of you that have more time in?

Tags (1)
16 Replies
indingrl

CONGRATS ON 3 NICOTINE FREEDOM DAYS-  TODAY - and it is so GOOD to smell all scents of  - fresh cut grass - all the different food smells  - tasting different foods with mixed spices - breathing better while exercising - same similarities as YOU - THANKS for asking- gentle hug ❤

sweetplt

I must say...my skin...was the amazing part...I looked about 5 years younger...everyone seemed to notice...and yes the sense of smell...and taste were both big benefits....Welcome to day 3...

Colleen 219 DOF 

YoungAtHeart

The decrease in my ability to breathe while swimming  laps was so gradual  that I didn't notice until I quit - and now I can really tell the difference.  I am not out of breath at all after doing several laps of freestyle and backstroke.

My self confidence went through the ROOF - I felt as though if I could quit smoking, I could do ANYTHING!

I went from needing medication to lower my blood pressure to having    127/70 regularly with no medication after I quit (but it did take a couple of years for me to see that).

My general level of stress is lower, and I seem to have more patience - I credit the lack of my brain sensors constantly firing for a fix for that.

I was told after I had been quit awhile that my skin "glowed!"

I didn't have to hear lectures from my doctors about the need to quit, and didn't have to worry about it anymore.  SO nice to mark "quit smoking 7/4/12" on all those forms!

TW517

I noticed all the typical benefits you mentioned, and would expect.  The one that still amazes me the most is the amount of extra time I had.  I "only" smoked 15 cigarettes a day.  But when you consider it took me 5 minutes to get to a smoking allowed spot, and another 5 to get back (during the working day, at night only a minute each way maybe), plus the 7-8 minutes smoking the cigarette, and I was spending anywhere from 250 to 270 minutes a day on my habit!  That's over 4 hours I now have for other activities!  Just from giving up 3/4 of a pack a day!  Incredible.

marciem

I'm with YoungAtHeart‌ as far as the boost in self confidence... "I quit smoking...I can do ANYthing", as well as a boost in self esteem (no longer the social pariah outside in the cold finding a place to get a fix, having people wave their hands waving the smoke I create away and "that look" on their faces).

And... I can laugh out loud, without that "cough cough cough" following it.  I never noticed that I did that, until I didn't do it anymore...LOL!

Strudel

Living in the moment - and realizing what freedom really means! Congrats to you! 

Reconciling my values with my actions! Transformative!

avian3

I am a hugger and it was nice not being embarrassed when I hugged friends and family.  None of them smoked and I must have smelled so rancid.

Sootie

The biggest surprise for me was to find that I actually can face crisis and problems BETTER without smoking! I always thought I needed my cigarettes to get through any stress. But, not only do I not need them....I can work through stress much better without addiction.