cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

What are some supplements for quitting?

I am already taking St. John's Wort to try and aid in the anxiety. I am super worried about over eating while I get through the first month...My quit date is 3/01/2017 but just the thought of quitting is driving me nuts!

0 Kudos
20 Replies

you'll snack quite a bit, but choose wisely.  carrot sticks, celery sticks, use cinnamon sticks for something hanging on your lip or between your fingers, sunflower seeds and lots and lots of water and excercise.  You'll do fine.  Just take one day at a time

Mortalzeus

Never thought of using any supplements during the initial stages of my quit.  Good question   I just used the patch 24/7 for about 2 months.  Also, I focused on the quit and never concerned myself with anything other than not smoking!  Stay Strong!

Darren

0 Kudos
John10forteen

Cigarettes are so interwoven with our everyday habits it is easy to understand why you're so nervous. Talking everyday on this site was the best supplement ever for me. I really needed a cigarette with my morning coffee.... I figured if I'm drinking coffee and smoking my 2- 4 cigarettes..... I could instead drink my coffee and read blogs and write, it helped me getting past one of my hardest triggers. Identify your triggers and be aware. Don't project fear of the future, the future is beautiful without smoking. Breathing in and out and thinking about those clean breaths for 5 or 10 minutes was another great supplement for me. I know you meant real physical supplements but allow yourself the freedom to relax without a cigarette even for a minute. 

I chain smoke when I am bored and when I am in the car, so I am avoiding spending extended amounts of time in my car, and I am also going to take a walk or do something in place of my breaks of boredom. I have tried to quit so many times before I have lost count. This time however I actually WANT to quit, before I felt like I HAD to quit. Which I mean I do for the sake of my health and such but its different doing something you WANT to do rather than something you are OBLIGATED to do. Thank you!

John10forteen

So familiar... Driving was a tough on for me too, AS a matter of fact, I boldly went driving, purposely leaving my cigarettes at home, if it was a short errand. I did that even before my quit date. Trust me, it was hard not to buy a pack of extra ciggs. most of the time 5 minutes into my drive, but I didn't and I did smoke when I got home... which was ok for that time for me. That was another trigger I got past a little bit at a time.

I am hopeful that I can beat that one FAST...cause even though I am a heavy smoker I don't like the smell and I smoke in my car and then fight the smelll...the sooner I get past it the more relaxed I will be.

0 Kudos
John10forteen

Sounds like a great place to start. Keep us posted! You are absolutely on the right path 🙂

0 Kudos

What you might do also is make a list of the places you smoke.  You smoke in the car.  Well, one of these days thoroughly clean it and declare it a smoke free zone.  You have ashtrays all over the house?  During this time of when you'e  not quite at your quit date, remove all the excess and just have one place where you go to smoke.  You smoke in your garage?  Start smoking on the side of the house or the back.  Gradually start removing the places and things you smoke in and smoke around.

Bree19

On Tuesday I landed on an old blog from Thomas.  It's one of those bits that really rang my bells so since Tue I've been paying attention, making notes, smoking consciously.  Thanks again Thomas.

I don't know how to create links so here's a bit of it:  

Are you still smoking? Next time you pick up that Sickerette watch yourself. Pay attention to yourself drawing the Sickerette out of it's pack. Did you bang on the bottom of the pack like I did? Did you count how many you have left calculating when to buy more? Why did you choose this moment? Are you hungry, angry,lonely, tired? Are you on break and have been anticipating this for minutes or even hours?