Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome: Introduce Yourself!

If you're just joining EX, we'd love for you to get in the mix and tell us a little bit about you in a comment. Don't know what to say, tell us what you're up to right now. Then be sure to fill out your Community Profile and upload an avatar.

If you're more brave and...

...ready to start your Quit Journey and share more you can Journal about it.

...have a question, you can ask it in Support, Quitting Methods or Health Conditions.

...or jump into the Conversations or latest posts from across the site..

If you're not yet brave you can...

...learn about using the community on the FAQ Page.

...read the info on My EX Plan and Set a Quit Date.

...search the community site or search from search bar on many pages (works just like Google).

...complete your EX Profile and your Community Profile.

...read the Best of EX.

...browse others' quit journeys.‌

EX Community Admin Team
Labels (1)
491 Replies
Barbscloud

@Mybabygirl04  I'm going to share this with our administrator.  He might have a better idea how you can help other teens.  @CommunityAdmin 

Barb

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Mybabygirl04 Welcome. Have you checked out Helping a Teen or Young Adult Quit Vaping yet? We have a text messaging program for you as well as a parent and one for your child as well.

That's great to hear that they want to quit! Great for her!

At this time we don't have a lot of active parents who frequent the community to share their tips. Glad to hear that you've connected with @LAB43239 . We'd really love to see more parents sharing their experiences with their children. I know @Superjenn82 also was recently struggling with helping their child stop vaping THC.

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Mybabygirl04

Yes I have read that.  Currently we get texts from Truth Initiative. Would those from here be any different?

Melanie workman
0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

There is ThisIsQuitting.com which is specifically for teens and has it's own specific texting program developed by our team here at Truth Initiative. Your child can register on ThisIsQuitting.com or text DITCHVAPE to 88709. Separately there is a texting program just for parents of children who vape that is part of BecomeAnEX.org. You appear to be registered and receiving text messages from the BecomeAnEX. Hopefully you're finding those texts helpful.

EX Community Admin Team
Giulia

Welcome Melanie.  My advice would be to just snoop around and read.  There are many resources here.  Don't be daunted by them.  Take your time.  Find what speaks to your heart and the heart of your 15 year old.  You know her better than any of us.  I would suggest offer her a plan (choices for such)  once you see something that hits you that you think might work for her.  But SHE, ultimately has to make her own plan.  You can't make it for her.  For then it's not of her creation, it's your choices.  If you get my gist.  We each need to make our own plan for own quits.  I'd say first off, just get her to read the material in Best of EX.  See if any of it speaks to her.  She needs to get turned onto the journey herself.

tsizemore1000

Hello,

My name is Travis, I have decided to start taking steps to stop vaping. I was a heavy smoker before and went to a vape. I am trying to work on finding out the most successful way to quit and remain nicotine free.

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@tsizemore1000 Welcome! I appreciate the brief introduction. 🙂 

You came to the right place. We have a lot of experienced quitters who have created a lot of helpful posts throughout this EX Community.  

Don't hesitate to use search on the home page to find things you're curious about. I also recommend checking out the Conversations area at the top of the page. It will show you the main topic areas of the community and give a brief explanation of each of the areas you can post in.  If you're open to sharing a bit more about your tobacco use history and what you've done so far in your quit journey to quit vaping, click Post a Journal from the home page and that will help the community tailor a response to you.

If you're looking for some things to do to prepare for your quit date, I've created a list here.

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@tsizemore1000 Travis, welcome to the Ex. and congrats on your decision to quit.  Please consider posting to My Journal/Blog to introduce yourself to the community and to receive some well deserved support. 

I have numerous attempts at quitting and it finally took me 50 years to get it right.  What was different this time?  I had a quit date, an aid, a class and cut down for a week. Sounds like a road to success.  I was fortunate to find the Ex a week prior to my quit.  I learned about nicotine addiction and that I needed a plan that would prepare for what I was going to encounter on my journey.  And for the first time, I had the support of fellow quitters.

Take the time to learn how to do this.  Part of it is mindset and part of it is hands on work identifying triggers, what tools you'll use, what associations you'll create instead of smoking, etc.   Spend time on the site, getting a well as giving support.  The early days take commitment so why not have other quitters to help you deal with the up and downs of this journey.

This link is a great place to start

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

We're here for you so reach out anytime we can help.    Going for walk is a great way to refocus your thinking and get an added boost of dopamine.   Spend time on the site when you need it the most 

Consider taking the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay on track one day at a time, even the weekend.  Look forward to celebrating with you on the 26th.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barbscloud_0-1675862994359.jpeg

Barb

0 Kudos
tsizemore1000

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement!  I know I need to do this, and I know that I can do this.

0 Kudos
Brandishae

Good choice. I’m nicotine free for 2 years now and I smoked for 25 years and the last few years of it I vaped as well!  It was hard quitting that because it was so convenient.  My advice is to listen to the advice given to you here and stay committed! That’s what I did and it worked. Try flava sticks flavored toothpicks. They helped me a lot. Also read Alan Carr’s book.