cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

MichelleDiane

Waves of fear

The past few days I have had unexplained waves of fear.  They don't last very long.  I'm just surprised that they come out of no where.  They're not cravings or urges.  I'm not even sure I'm thinking about smoking when they occur.  Just wondering if others have this experience.

60 Replies
IrishRose

elvan ,  medical bills are a complete nightmare to figure - harder than keeping track of a business!!!  You know what is insane?  I do hope your husband and YOU are doing much better.  You have had your share of weight bearing hardships, no doubt.  Big ((((hug)))) for you, Dear Friend!

Irish Rose 

elvan

Thanks IrishRose‌, he had his heart attack in January of 2018 so the real medical bill nightmare will be next year.  We have folders and folders and folders of bills from different places...most of them are no recognizable.  Oh well, this too shall pass.

0 Kudos
IrishRose

Wait a minute.  I thought I was the one who coined that expression "I just don't do that anymore."  Geesh!

hahahahaha

Had to pay the man AGAIN, but I am getting better at lowering it to virtually nothing.

Irish Rose

Barbscloud

Michelle

Glad to see you've got the help you needed already.  Just wanted to add, I have had what I would describe as overwhelming feelings of sadness for no apparent reason.  They do pass, but I have talk myself through it.

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

Thanks Barbs...I'm talking and listening

0 Kudos
Christine13

Glad you made it through it Michelle, I am having fear today too, fear that I'll go back to smoking again, fear of failure, fear what if I just can't do this.  The only way out is through it!  I have also been deep breathing to get through it.

You're doing great!!

MichelleDiane

Thanks Christine.  Breathing is definitely on my list of things to do (and not just because it's a necessity to live).  Keep breathing!  

0 Kudos
IrishRose

You have been quit since February 25, Christine13‌ , so you have almost two months under your belt.  You are doing awesome, but you have got to stick with it.  Sometimes, I think we confuse a sadness we experience with quitting smoking, when the fact of the matter is that something just has us down right sad, but we cannot put a finger on its source.  It could be anything that triggers that sadness, and we are so fast to blame the fact that we have not had a cigarette.  Unfortunately, we used cigarettes as a crutch to get us through just about any sad situation, and when we quit smoking, we lose our crutch, and have to deal with the situation of sadness head on with our hearts instead.  If that does not make any sense, Christine, a lot of things I say make no sense, because I get kind of deep sometimes with what I say.  You are doing so well, so allow your body four seasons of a quit.  This way you will have experienced so many different things in life without that crutch.  You will be a better, stronger, richer person for it, not to mention smelling a heck of a lot better.  I promise, you will look back on when you did smoke cancer sticks and smile, because it gets easier and easier as each day passes.

(((((hug))))) for you.

Irish Rose

0 Kudos
TessaGrace

I recognise my experience in your descriptions. This week I have been putting my fingers in my mouth, like biting nails but just biting the tip of my thumb, the skin of my thumb even split a little from repeatedly getting wet and drying. I've related the fear to overwhelm, but it's reminding me of when i used to smoke to have a break and pause for the next task. It is a good idea to go slow and steady, work alternative breaks in. I met a man the other day and he seems keen to see where we might go, stayed at his this weekend and saw him today but trying to pace myself, so many relationship expectations overwhelm, also with the Norway sailing coming up and the extensive house stuff I choose to sort out in the next few months, slow and steady wins the race. Saying that I just wrote my first art proposal email without smoking (and nicodemon reminded me that deserves 'motivation', 'anxiety alleviation', 'reward', 'calm-ener') Attended my first protest today without smoking (and was glad) Luckily I had the gentle chap's hand to hold when I felt overwhelm there. I keep just writing out my stuff out on here, staying close especially when I don't feel 100% safe in my quit. I wish you all well but verbiage is necessary for my own reflection and understanding here so sorry if i'm not responding much directly. Yak yak yak! That arts deadline was midnight this evening so I'm writing this at half past, wide awake. Films calm me so I'm going to watch a bit of one now x 

Lisaml

Oh, Tessa! Your life does sound intriguing !!!!

Protests and gentlemen and sailing trips?! 

Sigh. 

Dont mind if I live vicariously through you. 

Xox 

soccer mom. 3 teenagers. Lol .