cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Legend

Watching nature is better than smoking

I tried to post this in status update but it won’t let me post a picture again so I will post this here. Just to the left of the hummingbird feeder you can see a hummingbird getting sugar water. I don’t know how many hummingbirds we have but I see a lot coming and going.  I was making some strawberry jello and saw the hummingbird out the window. Watching nature is better than smoking.      

Hummingbird 6-20-17.jpg

239 Replies
Giulia

I have a special "thing" with frogs, Ellen.  So did my mother.  I was given a lesson in frog catching when I was  9 or 10 in Connecticut.  Never forgot it.  I used to go out and catch the same old bullfrog in our pond several times a week.  I'm sure he sat there thinking "OK, here she comes AGAIN!"  I'd play with him and put him back.  Here in the south we have all these "what I call "thumb nail" frogs (like the guy on the toilet).  They're literally the size of my thumb nail and just hang out in the grass.  (Peeper size.)  And sometimes when I'm walking on the lawn I hear this "popping" sound.  And I have an awful feeling of what it probably is.  But let's not go there!   lol  The ones with the sucker feet that can climb up sheer glass are amazing!  Like the one you mentioned on your windshield, Christine.

Meanwhile back out the kitchen stoop.... there's a mama cardinal constructing a nest.  WHY there - where we go in and out all the time - is anybody's guess.  It IS protected from the rain, but it's so low and vulnerable.  I'll start taking pictures of it soon and share the "birththing."  

elvan

I always worry about cardinals being vulnerable...they seem to build nests in some not very well thought out places.  My sister had a female cardinal fly into her car window a few years ago...the window was closed, the cardinal did not survive.  For MONTHS afterwards, every time she drove down the road, a MALE cardinal attacker her car, pecking at the windows...my brother said that they mate for life and the male was trying to get his mate out of the car...my sister felt horrible!

0 Kudos
Legend

elvan Oh that is so sad I hate to see animals in any pain. 

0 Kudos
Legend

Giulia 

LOL I am still laughing I got the biggest laugh out you saying I'm sure he sat there thinking "OK, here she comes AGAIN!" 

That would be so cool to see the mama cardinal and her babies. I hope you can get some good pictures of them.   

I’m curious what kind of camera are you taking pictures with?  I just use my phone camera now and the last camera I bought from QVC on Tv was not as good as yours it did not take close ups good at all. I want to save up and get a good camera but easy to use not complicated but takes close ups. What kind of zoom strength do you have on your camera 20X, 40X or 60X and what brand do you have?  

We have this lizard that comes out on the hand railing on the ramp in the front yard sometimes and he does this weird dance bobbing up and down and moving forward like he is dancing and then he makes a big bubble under his chin that is bright red and pretty I want to get a good snap shot of him. I will be looking for a better camera I want great pictures like you all have. Sometimes I see this lizard when I am eating at the table in the kitchen we have windows that overlook the railing.  

0 Kudos
IrishRose

So funny, just last night I was complaining to my husband that I had not seen any tree frogs in a good while now.  This morning, I go to water a plant my sister-in-law gave me a couple months ago, and check out who was peering back at me waiting for bug!!!

Love it...

Frog.JPG

Legend

IrishRose He is sooooooo cute love it thanks for sharing the picture. He has a nice home to live in. Did you have a juicy bug to offer him?

IrishRose

No, I was so afraid he was going to leave, because the camera was close to him.  I am sure he will do very well with catching bugs on his own, Christine.  There are mucho bugs around here.  I live 12 inches below sea level, seems like, anyway.  hahahaha

Legend

IrishRose I learned something new today I did not know frogs got into plants like that. I thought frogs always got in holes in the ground or under a rock.    

0 Kudos
IrishRose

Those green tree frogs love to get into plants that have cups like that.

Oh, I see a video button here, maybe, I can put that snake release in.  Let me check it out.

0 Kudos
IrishRose

Bahahahaha  Love the frogs you captured photos of, Giulia!

0 Kudos