cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Legend

Watching nature is better than smoking

I tried to post this in status update but it won’t let me post a picture again so I will post this here. Just to the left of the hummingbird feeder you can see a hummingbird getting sugar water. I don’t know how many hummingbirds we have but I see a lot coming and going.  I was making some strawberry jello and saw the hummingbird out the window. Watching nature is better than smoking.      

Hummingbird 6-20-17.jpg

239 Replies
Legend

Giulia   I have been reading on how to get a turtle not to eat her own eggs. I found out reading one article that they do eat their own eggs maybe because they need more calcium in their diet so I told mom give her more kale and collards it said on this one web site but now I can’t find the web site I forgot to mark it. Now I know we can’t trust her around her own eggs she will need to be separate at all times from her eggs if we can get them from her before she gets to them. I also found out on another article not to feed a turtle spinach, chard, and rhubarb because it blocks the absorption of calcium because of its high oxalic acid content and spinach should be avoided for this reason. I read a turtle fed spinach regularly can become calcium deficient even if a good source of calcium is provided. We never give her these foods but that is good to know not to give it to her.  I found a good article on turtles here. I’m still looking around learning all that I can. I think this turtle knows enough how to catch live food now and my son does know of a  nice place at a big lake that he has seen turtles like this one stays and they like to sit on this log by the water. My son says you have to take a paddle boat from the park across the lake and it’s pretty far away but it would be a good place to place her if we set her free and she would be close to other turtles they hang out together there. It would be up to my mom to let her go she is getting pretty big now.

http://members.petfinder.com/~NS17/Red-Eared%20Slider%20Turtle%20Care%20Sheet.pdf

0 Kudos
Legend

Giulia   Well I just read it’s not a good plan to release these kind of turtles into the wild they are not good for the environment.  If my mom ever can’t take care of this turtle I will have to look into a turtle rescue place or take care of it myself and the chances of survival are not great for them if they are put in the wild.

0 Kudos
Giulia

I wonder why we are offered plants and animals in this country that are not good for our environment.  Not only not good for it, but which only create havoc because they upset the normal ecological order.  Kudzu, Asian Carp, Zebra mussels, etc.  But then - who am I and whaddo I know  

Christine_Aka_Legend wrote:

Giulia   Well I just read it’s not a good plan to release these kind of turtles into the wild they are not good for the environment.  If my mom ever can’t take care of this turtle I will have to look into a turtle rescue place or take care of it myself and the chances of survival are not great for them if they are put in the wild.

0 Kudos
IrishRose

Does your turtle have a boyfriend?  Those eggs will not hatch if she does not have a boyfriend.

Let me tell you one of my "stories"...  When I moved from New York to South Carolina, I wanted ducks.  So, off I went to the feed store.  I thought feed stores only sold mallards, and to me, all babies looked the same in the duck department.  Animals always need companionship is the way I see it, so  I got two ducklings.  They were absolutely adorable, and I raised them to adulthood.  As they started to feather out into adulthood though, I found out that I actually had purchased two Muscovy's, rather than two Mallards.  That was Lesson #1. 

Well, one morning, I went outside, and there were eggs in a nest that had been built pretty quick in one day.  As time went by, I thought how cool it was that both the male and female were sharing the burdensome task of "setting" on the eggs, in order for them to hatch.  Days went by, and the pile of eggs got bigger and bigger and bigger, until there was a giant pyramid of eggs in that nest.  Then, I started noticing that both ducks were arguing as to who was going to set on the eggs.  I would go outside to check them, and both would be setting side by side, slanted, on this giant pile of eggs.  Well, it turned out that I had two females.  That was Lesson #2 for this city girl gone country. 

It was heartbreaking to take the eggs away from them, but there was no way those eggs would have hatched without a male around.  There was no way those two females were going to abandon that nest either.  Ducks, like turtles, will lay eggs, but the eggs will not hatch out if they are not fertilized. 

Shortly afterwards, a friend told me about a pond that had other Muscovy Ducks in it, so I packed them up and drove them to the pond, releasing them to be in an environment where they could do what nature was calling for them to do - reproduce.  My last lesson to be learned about the life of ducks.

Irish Rose    

Giulia

Thanks for the lesson, Irish.  GREAT STORY!

IrishRose

Giulia , that was a long time ago, 44 years to be exact.    Now, I can recognize a Wood Duck, otherwise known as a Summer Duck.  Found this little lady along with four others flying around in the backyard one morning last week.  My husband said they were looking for a tree to nest in.  They nest in tree holes way up in a tree.  The colors on these ducks are absolutely beautiful.  You've got to pull them up on the internet to see their colors, but here is a shot of one of them. 

summer duck 2.JPG

0 Kudos
Legend

Giulia   Yep I wonder about that also.

0 Kudos
Legend

IrishRose   Thanks for the story about your ducks.  Just think if you had of had a male and a female you might have had a lot of baby ducks quacking all over the place. I hope your ducks were happy at the new place you put them.

Yes mama turtle had a boyfriend we had two turtles and this one turtle would do this crazy looking fluttering of his front hands on each side of her head and it looked to me like a mating thing going on and she loved it so we thought we had a pair in the tank and mom put them both in the koi pond she made in the back yard. Mom put them both in the koi pond last summer and the one we thought was the male was stolen out of the tank. He could not get out of the tank by himself the way the pond was set up and there was no evidence of an animal getting in the pond to get him the turtles would have jumped in the pond from the rocks and hid in the water if an animal was chasing them and mom had water plants everywhere in the pond and none of them were disturbed. A human would have had no problem reaching in and not disturbing the pond plants or rocks to catch our turtle.  We have had a little girl in our front yard before stealing the fish out of the pond in the front yard. The little girl across the street who has moved  now was caught by me and my son stealing the fish out of our koi pond and she said she wanted the fish for her turtle she had we told her mom and she got in trouble. We think it was a kid that took the other turtle and we thought it was a male by the way the two turtles were acting. I looked up online what a turtle would do if they are mating and that same little dance they did was showing so we are pretty sure it was a pair. I read online that turtles can store sperm for years so it would have been possible for her eggs to be fertile. Mom did get another turtle for her finally to have someone with her all the time and she sure does like this new turtle she is always giving it attention touching it gently and the other turtle likes to touch her back but they don’t do that dance with their hands like the other one did yet but they are different in age and size so I don’t know if that has anything to do with it. My grandson looked at the bottom of the shell on this new turtle and said he looked up how to tell a male from a female and said he thinks this new turtle mom got for mama turtle is a female also.  This is the dance that the two turtles would do that we had in the summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77LkkcGFvVo

This is the link that I had read that turtles can store sperm for years.

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatreptileblog/2011/10/14/caution-female-turtles-even-if-unmated-must...

We can still put the turtles in the koi pond in the summer but we better be out there all the time to watch so they don’t get stolen now since we now have lost one turtle. Some dogs that got out of someone’s yard got into the pond in the front yard years ago and just messed up that pond to pieces trying to get a fish so that is why mom thinks there would have have been some evidence of an animal being in the pond out back if that is what had taken the male turtle last summer and there was not evidence of that. Maybe we have a sneaking raccoon around that can do anything and not be seen who knows.  

Good to see you back here. 

IrishRose

Legend‌ , that video on the mating dance was so cool!!!!  

So the little girl across the street stole your turtle, then she stole fish out of your pond to feed it?????  Good grief!!!!

Raccoons can really tear up a place.  My husband had a friend who raised a raccoon from a baby.  One day the family went off on a day trip, and when they returned, their house was all torn up.  They thought someone had come in and robbed the place.  His friend called the law to report the robbery, and by the time the cops left, his friend ended up with a hefty fine from the game warden for having a raccoon in captivity.  The raccoon left no cabinet doors unopened.  hahahahaha

Irish 

0 Kudos
Legend

IrishRose   The little girl across the street just stole the fish only out of the front yard pond and got caught she had her own turtle her mom bought her at home.  We don’t know who took the male turtle from the back yard pond we did not see who did it and that little girl had moved away before the turtle had got stolen. I hope who ever stole my mom’s turtle is taking care of it right.

Oh no that must have been a pretty bad mess to clean up after that raccoon but that is a funny story ha ha. They should have named that raccoon the raccoon bandit lol.

That’s a pretty good size duck up in the tree in that picture you posted.

0 Kudos