cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

hardtoquit

Want to but can't commit-Help!

I've just joined Ex. I still am a light smoker. My loved ones are mortified that I hold onto smoking. I bum or buy 4 loosies a day. In a city, its all around me. When there's no smokers around I've managed on gum and low strength patches, but weaken anytime its available, as a stress reliever and oral tool.

I simply am holding on and won't cut the chord. I enjoy those cigarettes so much yet am always filled with guilt and shame.

I had a health scare recently and thought I had cancer but after complete screening I'm fine. Yet still I've gone back to this chronic scourge.

I would love help to get strong and to help visualize being free 100% from ever lighting a cigarette.

Any helpful suggestions and encouragement are very welcome!!

0 Kudos
38 Replies
hardtoquit

Hi Jackie, i wanted to let you know that i finally quit 4 days ago. Feeling really solid about it, of course also afraid ill give in at some future moment of frustration.

How are you and your sobriety or whatever non-smokers are called here?

PrimeNumberJD

Cathy, a date is important! You'll be here in 2 weeks, can't wait! 

hardtoquit

i know it is.  One has to mean it though, or it could come and go?

Are you on the patches?  Gum?  How many days in are you?

PrimeNumberJD

I've gone cold Turkey for my final quit.First couple of days sucked, but they were manageable; "this too shall come to pass," and it did! 

I noticed the game between smoking and NRT in past quits; research has led me to the conclusion that NRT is an extension of big tobacco. 

Dates do come and go; mentality is the biggest part of a quit. I missed my quit day by a day on this final quit. Strangely that is precisely what secured my resolve. While I went into my quit with complete uncertainty and an irrational fear for what was to come, I knew I was making the best decision for me. My fear was irrational because I have quit numerous times, so the only thing I had to fear was failing; I identified that really quick, which was helpful. 

I have 64 DOF. From a medical standpoint, 1 year is considered quit. I don't care what science has to say, I'm quit! That is the mentality I would advise anyone who is seeking to quit, to get. At about 30 days in, I knew I was done forever! 

That was a good question and I like where your head is going! 

0 Kudos
hardtoquit

All great information. Thanks much for expanding on my query.

Cathy

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 6:29 PM, Jdeering<communityadmin@becomeanex.org> wrote:

#yiv0693239094 * #yiv0693239094 a #yiv0693239094 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv0693239094 #yiv0693239094 h1, #yiv0693239094 h2, #yiv0693239094 h3, #yiv0693239094 h4, #yiv0693239094 h5, #yiv0693239094 h6, #yiv0693239094 p, #yiv0693239094 hr {}#yiv0693239094 .yiv0693239094button td {}

|

BecomeAnEX

|

Re: Want to but can't commit-Help!

reply from Jdeering in Conversations - View the full discussion

I've gone cold Turkey for my final quit.First couple of days sucked, but they were manageable; "this too shall come to pass," and it did! 

I noticed the game between smoking and NRT in past quits; research has led me to the conclusion that NRT is an extension of big tobacco. 

Dates do come and go; mentality is the biggest part of a quit. I missed my quit day by a day on this final quit. Strangely that is precisely what secured my resolve. While I went into my quit with complete uncertainty and an irrational fear for what was to come, I knew I was making the best decision for me. My fear was irrational because I have quit numerous times, so the only thing I had to fear was failing; I identified that really quick, which was helpful. 

I have 64 DOF. From a medical standpoint, 1 year is considered quit. I don't care what science has to say, I'm quit! That is the mentality I would advise anyone who is seeking to quit, to get. At about 30 days in, I knew I was done forever! 

That was a good question and I like where your head is going! 

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on BecomeAnEX

Start a new discussion in Conversations by email or at BecomeAnEX

Following Re: Want to but can't commit-Help! in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by BecomeAnEX because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from BecomeAnEX, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences. Be sure to click Save. News Digest emails are sent on Thursdays by default.

hardtoquit

Hi Jdeering and all who wrote on this thread a couple of months ago. 

I didnt quit at my date, but the time of finality has come and i said enough. Its been 4 days. Its been great and not very hard, but im nervous about a moment that may come of weakness. 

How do i set up a text message directly to all you helpful folks?

Right now im logging into the site to read all.

Id love some support right with me during my day via text.

In any event im feeling great, less guilt and shame, less 'loser' status as i go thru my day connecting with all the 'healthy' non- destructive folks out there.  

Im so happy to feel that my activities so far are completely doable w/o sneaking around to smoke.

Thanks for all who wrote in awhile back. Would live to hear from you and wish you a wonderful rest of autumn

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Wow, this was hard to follow since it was old.  So, let's start over, Welcome to the Ex.  Congrats on 4 days smoke free.

We're definitely here to  support you on this amazing journey.  Think you have to post to reach us. We're here for you

Barb

Ronwv

I did smoke and use dip and I did quit smoking two years ago and plan on quitting snuff shortly after.but that didn't happened.

I did joined a few online quit sites and pledge to quit and I kept messing up that they kicked me out of the group.

So now 2 years later and I got tired of knowing every 2 days I be buying a can of snuff. I was getting gas one day and the cashier already seen me coming in to pay for gas and snuff.rigjt then and there I decided. Enough is enough.

A week or two can't remember. I came on this site and started to read everything I could and I set a day for two weeks later.

The other day,I discovered my snuff stash was low and I was not going to buy another can. So,I bought my nrt mints and really started focusing on this site and reading everything I could think off.

So,Monday night I was totally out of snuff and I decided to start my quit and reset my quit to Tues .

Here it is Weds and day 1 is almost done.

Has it been easy .no. it will be one of the hardest fight,but I keep reading the site and using what I learned and have managed to push through it.

This site must read my mind because the time I am on the edge of losing it. I get a text and it seems to know what I am feeling or thinking of and gives me help page to find my answer.

0 Kudos
debomac

Thanks! I started using lozenges yesterday. I live with a smoker! I don't want to nag him but if I do not join him maybe he will eventually quit.So let's help each other. Thanks Deborah

Sent from XFINITY Connect Mobile App