cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

millon03

WHAT'S THE WILDEST THING YOU'VE DONE?

So Friday, my first day off of the Chantix, out of the blue I decided I wanted a new kitten. While working I was looking a kittens on the internet, saw a real cutie pie at the Humane Society and decided he was gonna be mine.  Nevermind that I personally have 3 dogs and 2 cats of my own, not counting the 2 dogs my parents have.  Yes, that is 7 animals in our home. So I left work a half an hour early and traveled to the other side of Albuquerque to the Humane Society. I got there and gave them the # of the kitten and they told me "sorry, he's been adopted". I said ok, show me what you got. I went back and saw a little girl with a cone on her head, I think she was 6 months old, and we were hanging out and I said that my roommate is going to love her. And they said, "is she going to be a gift"? and I said Yes. They said they can't let her go without my roommate first coming to see her. I said, well, what I just want to adopt her? and they said, "sorry, cat's out of the bag and we know you want to adopt her for someone else". Crap. So it is now 5:30 and rush hour is at its worst on a Friday night, in Albuquerque and I have to go clear across town. 1 Accident, 2, Accident, road construction, everyone trying to find a way around it all. It took me 2 1/2 hours to get home, I kid you not! No kitten, thank God. And as I was finally nearing home I look over and there is a Humane Society less the 5 miles from my house! I think, Oh My God, I have lost my frigging mind!

That, so far, is the wildest thing I have done in my quit! Sure glad this is the only place I have to share this little story with!

Peace! 

Melissa DOF 21

39 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I volunteered at the SPCA and there were interviews for cat adoptions, too.  One of the questions was if the adoptee was going to be an indoor or outdoor cat?  TRICK QUESTION.  If a person answered "in and out "- the silent buzzer would go off and the person would be told they were not approved.   There are leash laws here for cats, too - and the organization does not approve of cats outside, anyway, because of the dangers of cars, other cats, etc.

I always felt so sorry for the folks, though.  It was like that TV show with the trap door and the people just went "WHOMP!"

That was SOME day you had!  Glad you didn't smoke over it, though!!!

SaraPeach

I'm glad they are trying to be protective of the cats and find good homes for them, but not every cat is meant to be cooped up inside (some are quite happy inside; others, like my cat, are very much not!). I let my cat out when i am outside with her. We live on 10 wooded acres and up on a big hill away from the road, which gets very little traffic. She has yet to go down to the road. She LIVES for her outside time. Some cats are more wild than others. Each has its own personality and I don't think the shelters should keep them pent up in cages because someone might learn that their individual cat enjoys getting fresh air and sunshine!

anaussiemom

SaraPeach  Agree.    Just how some of the shelters are... I find it frustrating at times.. You sound like a good momma"

.My cats like being out too.  They can not though.  Our other home had a pen for them to roam a bit. This home does not, yet!

SaraPeach

Thanks! My cat is my life! Lol! I would die without her. Seriously do not know what I would do. I bought one of those Purrfect Fence cat fences for her at our old place because it was closer to the road. We moved before I ever got a chance to use it, but it seems like a really good product. Pricey though!

Cameree

I understand what you mean I've had cats and most of them liked the outside where they could roam. But the pound got one of my cats and told me I had to keep him inside and put him on a leash and I said I will not punish my cat in that manner because he was used to being outside and chasing birds and squirrels etc. so I ended up leaving him there I just couldn't see him not being able to go outside he was a very friendly cat I had him for 5 years. I laugh when my son came home after going to the pound looking for him and he said to me Ma our cat is in jail and all I could do was laugh and said what do you mean he's in jail he said at the pound they got him locked up 

DonnaMarie

My smoke-free brain has me doing all sorts of stuff, but no kitties please! Now, if I were to look at German shepherd puppies.....

Donna

Day 58

sweetplt

Lot's of goofy things...are going on with me...but not as wild as that Melissa...had me a little chuckle...Thank you...hope you get a kitty...I just love them...~ Colleen

elvan

I looked on line more than once at our local shelter and whenever I got there, the cat I was interested in was already adopted.  This last one...our crazy Clementine was a scrawny looking thing and really not one I was terribly interested in but she was interested in ME and my gloves and my purse and she found a forever home.  

Hope you find a kitten if you still want one.

I refuse to tell you the craziest thing I ever did...probably because I can't remember.

Ellen

anaussiemom

awwww  amazing how "The Furs"  pick us out to be their humans, forever.   . elvan

Hugs

elvan

It is so true...anaussiemom‌.  The other cat we had was from a litter at the shelter, there were five of them and I was looking at them and the attendant opened the cage and he jumped onto my shoulder.  She looked at me and said, "You have been chosen!"