cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Soup

Visualization Game?

Just read an Ex-blog from 2015 that got my attention because I am pursuing the same idea of making some sort of visual activity of nicotine receptors dying off in the brain (I am a very visually-oriented person). Seamac (person with 2015 blog) suggested setting up some sort of game that would visualize this. Anybody out there tried any sort of activity like this? (I also looked up research studies on NRT and  its effects on normalizing  number of nicotine receptors: if I understood studies correctly, NRT does not interfere with receptors dying off). I am a chronic relapser, and have tried every proven cessation practice out there, except group support. There are no local, face-to-face, cessation groups in my county (even tried starting a Nicanon group in past years) but never tried online support groups. The only thing I've got going for me is my desire to keep trying despite chronic failure. Anyone???

0 Kudos
14 Replies
elvan

I never used NRT's but I certainly was a chronic relapser.  Once I was able to convince myself that smoking never did anything FOR me, never made anything the LEAST bit better...I was able to put together a plan.  I identified my triggers and rated them as to how strong they were and then every time I smoked, I wrote it down and I wrote down WHY and what the result of the cigarette was.  I never got any relief from stress, from chronic pain, from anger, from sadness, I never really got anything except a short distraction and I knew that I could come up with other distractions that were not trying to kill me.  I used all kinds of things...I used this site a LOT, blogging, reading, commenting, feeling the support and taking the advice of others who went before me and who wanted me to succeed.  Education is huge and commitment is right up there with it.  We have pretty much all been where you are and we all want to help you as much as possible.  I never tried visualization, although I have heard very good things about it in planning strategies for life.  I suggest staying close to the site and taking things from it that you can use.

Welcome.

Ellen

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Thanks for sharing the details of your addiction and quit history. Group support is good in many ways...opening up the mind to possibilities, keeping truth front and center, and unconditional understanding--in my opinion.

Visualization can be a good tool, but I'd like to add to that idea by suggesting additional exercises 1.) visualize your recovery--smobriety--a leaving behind of the addiction--and 2:) record yourself talking about what you get out of smoking, what you like about it and why you don't want to quit. Watch the video 24 hours later. 3.) Save every butt in a glass jar and keep the jar out in the open--don't hide away. 4.) When you are outside, look down on the ground for spent butts. Count them and as you count, ask yourself which cigarette smoked was ever enough for the person who smoked it.

There is no secret sauce to quitting, but no-one is incapable of quitting. You sound hopeful about quitting so keep looking for your yes. It is there for you, no matter how many times you have tried in the past, real smobriety is there for you to uncover.  

Just found this on the net and it is one of many visuals that could be used to break through the haze of addiction. No?

Related image

AnnetteMM

Hi Soup! Like you, I couldn't find a community-based support for quitting smoking either. I tried to hook up with Voices for Nicotine Recovery - they have an online conference call type group, but it uses a platform not compatible with my notebook. Anyway, WELCOME! 

0 Kudos

I use visualizations every day for any number of things.

I can see you as Wonder Woman who uses her wrist bands to ricochet off those cravings as they come toward you or Princess Leia who shoots them down. Each time you resist a craving you gain points and when you face down triggers and get to the other side you get 1000 bonus points. Assign a reasonable 100 points a day for another Day WON! Every time you hit 10,000 points reward yourself 3D with a movie night, a massage or some fresh flowers, jewelry, etc ....you get it! It's your game so you set the parameters. 

Jane McGonigal: Gaming can make a better world | TED Talk 

You are already a winner for joining this Community and strategizing your way to FREEDOM!

DonnaMarie

I have two things that may interest you - meaning you may wish to try them.

I like images. I collect images. Not all of them I collect are here, but I have a quit smoking Pinterest page - 345 best Quit Smoking images on Pinterest | Ouat funny memes, Smoke and Smoking 

I blog. I use some images when I blog. My blog is not only about quitting smoking so it may not interest you, but right now, it's all about the quitting. Motivating Donna 

I am not sure why, but searching for and saving images helps me a lot. I get to see images and items that I don't save, and maybe they play a role. I'll be doing more of it later today as the quit continues.