Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Collaboration: Trigger Separation Exercises

A couple recent comments have asked where Trigger Separation Exercises have gone.  Triggers and Trigger Exercises  

Since I cannot yet locate those prior suggested exercises we can use this document to provide triggers and possible exercises to avoid giving in to those triggers.

If you have come up with a list of steps for a particular trigger, share it in the comments below. I'll establish a consistent format and use this document to list them all. Those who are looking for examples on how to beat their triggers can then be referred or reference this document as the need arises.

As steps are added the text below will become links the will jump to the recommended steps.

1. Coffee
  2. Drinking
  3. After a Meal
  4. Driving
  5. Morning Routine
  6. When kids argue
  7. Sex
  8. Stress
  9. Friends who smoke
  10. Certain locations
  11. Celebrating
  12. Relaxing
  13. Mornings
  14. Feeling blue
  15. Your Jerk-face boss
  16. Fighting with a friend
  17. Feeling bored
  18. Paying bills
  19. Getting Upset

Coffee

If one of your triggers is your first cup of coffee in the morning, do the following:

1. Stop. Do not light up.
  2. Instead drink your coffee first.
  3. Eat breakfast.
  4. Then smoke.

You’re just putting a little time between your coffee trigger and your first cigarette of the day.

The next morning, do the same thing. But this time wait 10 minutes after you finish your breakfast. Then smoke.

The next day, see if you can wait 15 minutes. Do this every morning for a few days. Soon you will not always think about smoking when you drink coffee.

Alternatives:

• You might also hold your cup in your OTHER hand or drink in a place you never smoked.
  • Switch to tea or hot chocolate or another beverage for a while

Drinking

Alternatives:

• Limit yourself to just one early in your quit - or better yet, none!!!

After a Meal

Alternatives:

• Get right up from the table and start clearing it.  Do the dishes. 
  • Have just a small piece of chocolate (like a Hershey Kiss) to get that dopamine hit. 
  • Go for a quick leisurely stroll or anything physical, don't just sit there.

Driving

If you smoke when you are driving, do this:

1. Put your cigarettes in the trunk of the car or in the bottom of your bag.
  2. Drive.
  3. When you get to your destination, then smoke.

The next morning, do the same thing. But this time, after you get to work or wherever you are going, wait 5 minutes before lighting up.

The next day, try to wait 10 minutes before lighting up. Once you’ve tried this for a week or so, you won’t always think “I need a cigarette” when you drive.

Alternatives:

• Count the number of red/blue/white cars you see, or the lights you hit or miss. 
  • Make up stories about the drivers/passengers in other cars. 
  • Find a different route to your usual places so the scenery is new. 
  • Play tunes and sing aloud to them. 
  • Keep a cold bottle of water handy from which to sip.
  • Hold a straw between your smoking fingers.

Morning Routine/Mornings

Alternatives:

• Put your tennies on right out of bed and first go for a quick walk.
    • THEN your shower, then your coffee (see #1 above).

When Kids Argue

Alternatives:

• Get yourself away from the drama, count to 10, take slow/deep breaths.  Don't react - stay calm!

Sex

Alternatives:

Stress

Alternatives:

• Slow/deep breaths, count backwards from 1,000.
  • Say the alphabet backwards.
  • Take a brisk walk, or march in place.

Friends who smoke

Alternatives:

• Put a little Vicks under your nose to negate the smell. 
  • Stay away from them until you feel confident in your quit. 
  • If they are GOOD friends, ask them not to smoke in front of you.

Certain locations

Alternatives:

• Stay away from triggering locations as long as you can.  Be sure to have an escape plan the first time you go there.

Celebrating

Alternatives:

•  Find a NEW reward. 
    • Example: If you stopped drinking soda well before you quit, your new celebration/end of task reward became an iced cold soda over crushed ice.  

Relaxing

Alternatives: 

• Listen to quiet music.
  • Get a bit of chocolate.
  • Go for a walk. 
    • Listen to the birds, feel the breeze on your face. 
    • Breathe in the clear, clean air into your lungs. 
    • Take some slow/deep breaths and feel deep down the peace that quitting has brought to you.

Feeling blue

Alternatives: 

• Make a list of all the thing for which you are grateful. 
  • Write down all the GOOD things you have noticed about quitting smoking
    • Examples: You don't stink anymore, you have extra $$ in your pocket, there is no cough at the end of every good laugh.

Your Jerk-face boss

Alternatives: 

• Visualize your boss with snot running down his/her face. 
  • Think of ways you can sabotage their pet project. 
  • Take slow/deep breaths. 
  • Go for a quick walk. 
  • Play a computer game. 

Fighting with a friend

Alternatives: 

• Take a break from the drama. 
  • Go for a walk, get a cold drink, think about what is really going on. 
  • Apologize if it's your fault.  Forgive them if it's not.  Then - move on!

Feeling bored

Alternatives: 

• Find something to DO!  Clean out a drawer, play a computer game, go for a walk, march in place, read a book or magazine,  find funny YouTube videos to watch, do a crossword or jigsaw puzzle, call a friend, arrange your spices in alphabetical order, clean out your freezer, 'fridge or pantry, blow bubbles....Get busy!!!
  • Find the 100+ Things to do instead of smoke in Best of EX and cross something off your EX Bucket List

Paying bills

Alternatives: 

• Get this chore over with in a place where you never smoked. 
  • Get some bubble bum and chew the heck out of it.

Upset

If you smoke when you are upset, do this:

1. Stop. Do not light up.
  2. Take a few deep breaths.
  3. Call a friend or a relative.
  4. Wait 10 minutes.
  5. Then have your smoke.
  6. The next time you are upset about something, wait 15 minutes before you light up.

Try this with all of your triggers.

Put a little time between your trigger and a cigarette.

Keep adding more time.

Before you know it, you’ve separated your triggers from your cigarettes.

You can do it.

The idea is to separate your triggers before you stop smoking. That way when you do quit, it’ll be easier to handle your triggers.

EX Community Admin Team
Tags (2)
9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

1.  Coffee - hold your cup with your OTHER hand.  Drink it in a place you never smoked.

2.  Drinking - limit yourself to just one early in your quit - or better yet, none!!!

3.  Get right up from the table and start clearing it.  Do the dishes.  Have just a small piece of chocolate (like a Hershey Kiss) to get that dopamine hit.  Or - go for a quick leisurely stroll.

4.  Count the number of red/blue/white cars you see, or the lights you hit or miss.  Make up stories about the drivers/passengers in other cars.  Find a different route to your usual places so the scenery is new.  Play tunes and sing aloud to them.  Keep a cold bottle of water handy from which to sip.

5.  Put your tennies on right out of bed and first go for a quick walk.  THEN your shower, then your coffee (see #1 above).

6.  Get yourself away from the drama, count to 10, take slow/deep breaths.  Don't react - stay calm!\

7.  Don't remember!!!

8  .Slow/deep breaths, count backwards from 1,000, say the alphabet backwards, take a brisk walk, or march in place.

9.  Put a little Vicks under your nose to negate the smell.  Stay away from them until you feel confident in your quit.  If they are GOOD friends, ask them not to smoke in front of you.

10.  Stay away from triggering locations as long as you can.  Be sure to have an escape plan the first time you go there.

Gotta' run - all for now!

YoungAtHeart

Am I the only person playing.  I KNOW our members have lots of good ideas!!! 

11.  Find a NEW reward.  I stopped drinking soda well before I quit, so my new celebration/end of task reward became an iced cold Pepsi over crushed ice.  YUM!  What's not to like about THAT celebration?

12.  Listen to quiet music, get a bit of chocolate, go for a walk.  Listen to the birds, feel the breeze on your face.  Breathe in the clear, clean air into your lungs.  Take some slow/deep breaths and feel deep down the peace that quitting has brought to you.

13.  See #5

14.  Make a list of all the thing for which you are grateful.  Write down all the GOOD things you have noticed about quitting smoking...like you don't stink anymore, you have extra $$ in your pocket, there is no cough at the end of every good laugh.

15.  Visualize your boss with snot running down his/her face.  Think of ways you can sabotage their pet project.  Take slow/deep breaths.  Go for a quick walk.  Play a computer game. 

16. Take a break from the drama.  Go for a walk, get a cold drink, think about what is really going on.  Apologize if it's your fault.  Forgive them if it's not.  Then - move on!

17.  Find something to DO!  Clean out a drawer, play a computer game, go for a walk, march in place, read a book or magazine,  find funny YouTube videos to watch, do a crossword or jigsaw puzzle, call a friend, arrange your spices in alphabetical order, clean out your freezer, 'fridge or pantry, blow bubbles....Get busy!!!

18.  Get this chore over with in a place where you never smoked.  See #8.  Get some bubble bum and chew the heck out of it.

19.  See #8

Let's hear YOURS!!!!!

0 Kudos
Giulia

1.  Coffee - switch to tea or hot chocolate or another beverage for a while

2.  Drinking - either don't drink at all or limit yourself to ONE

3.  After a meal - get up and do something physical, anything.  Don't just sit there.

4.  Driving - hold a straw between your smoking fingers.

8.  Stress - Take a deep breath and as you do so, tense your shoulders up to toward the ceiling, pause, then as you exhale let your shoulders drop.  

9.  Friends who smoke - a) don't hang out with them for a while or b) ask them not to smoke in your presence or c) when they light up, walk outside or to another room until they're finished.

10.  Certain Locations-  a) refrain, if possible from going there until you're more secure in your quit, b) alter the location, if possible.  For example if you usually go out on your back deck to smoke and sit in a certain chair, sit somewhere else, look in a different direction c) find a new location

17.  Feeling bored -  learn a new skill, like Origami and make a paper flower.  Learn a new language.  Write a poem.  Make a list of 10 positive statements (by creating them yourself, or pulling them from the internet.)

19.  Getting upset - catch yourself in the process and turn you thinking in a new direction.  Say to yourself, "What am I supposed to learn through this experience?  How can I use this for spiritual growth, rather than simply take it as a negative?"

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Giulia‌ and YoungAtHeart‌ Thanks for your contributions. I've added them to the document.

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
virgomama

Keep boxes of Altoid peppermint candies EVERYWHERE within reach.  They really helped with that sensation in your throat and were great for a quick low calorie sweet to pop in your mouth.

YoungAtHeart

You can add these to most ALL of the triggers/associations:

Take slow/deep breaths, going slower and deeper with each.

Put your head in the freezer and take a breath of cold air.

Keep a bottle of cold water handy and sip from as needed.

Keep a rubber band around your wrist and snap it to change your mind's direction and remind you of your quit decision.

Suck on sour or hot ( cinnamon/Fireball) candy.

Bite into a lemon, rind and all.

Exercise and more exercise - even marching in place works.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

YoungAtHeart

Thanks. Do you have any ideas that are more progressive, where they build upon each other and add in time between as in CoffeeDriving

and Getting Upset? Does that make sense?

I'm trying to add on to the exercises from BecomeAnEX Book PDF  on page 13 for each of our listed triggers.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I think we are going at two different points in the quit.  You are in the preparation stage and my ideas, I see, are more for AFTER you quit.  Let me think about some prep. time ideas.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

YoungAtHeart wrote:

I think we are going at two different points in the quit.  You are in the preparation stage and my ideas, I see, are more for AFTER you quit.  Let me think about some prep. time ideas.

Thanks. This came from a specific request about steps provided previously in our booklets and possibly also on our website.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos