cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

pnkdasyz

Vaping

I want to quit vaping but it’s hard when it’s not known to be bad like cigarettes. I’ve seen studies citing lung damage but other studies stating it’s unlikely to exceed 5% harm of cigarettes and another one stating no long term damage over 3.5 year period. I don’t know what to think? I know I am tired of being a slave to it but like I said it’s hard when it’s not known to be terrible. Any advice?

Labels (1)
25 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Just keep at it . ....the more effort you put in, the more successful you will be.

Nancy

0 Kudos
Benedina

Thank you Purrbrina, for sharing that you too, are in the boat.  Let’s start rowing to a nicotine free life !

My goodness, I both know, and don’t know, how I got into this mess with the vaping. It’s all day every day, but I have decreased the vapes already to 1.2%. I have Allen Carr’s book on the way and something occurred to me today that MIGHT help a bit. For the past year I’ve been steeped in this mantra of “I have to quit, I HAVE TO QUIT !   Out of the blue (and I attribute this to the many months of reading all the exceptional advice and posts on this site, before having the guts to actually register) I stopped with that mantra. 

This is not something I HAVE to do.  I have the freedom to choose a nicotine life, free of the tremendous financial, emotional and physical costs. So I’ve changed my mantra, instead of something I HAVE to do.....to something I GET to do. It is one of the most valuable opportunities I can embrace, to be free of the tangled claws that grab at me constantly, robbing me of a LOT of money, being a slave to always being worried I’ll run out, having to hide everything when visiting friends or family, the shame, the guilt, the sore throats, the sinus issues that are related to vaping, the list goes on. The whole world of nicotine is an abyss of chaos. 

The fact that we are both here, means that we want to stop. It means we want to embrace an opportunity for a life free from this thing that was so attractive to us, that told us how strong we were because we weren’t smoking actual cigarettes (I told myself this lie for years).  Right now, I’m hanging onto the fact that quitting vaping is something I want to do and I GET to do. The only thing forcing me right now to vape is fear of the unknown. So I’m soon turning on the light to face this monster head on. 

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Me thinks we’re in for a bumpy ride at first, but here on this site, we’ve got a lot of great people to soften out the rough spots. Thanks again for your post, it really helped me stay connected . 

YoungAtHeart

Quitting is also something over which you have TOTAL control!  How much of life can you say that about????!!!

Pretty cool, isn't it?

Nancy

pnkdasyz

I’ve had that SAME mantra to the point of getting mad at myself for caving. You have sinus issues too?? 

Benedina

Yes....and they are ongoing. I hold off the sinus infections with Xlear and Neti Pots, but have had them for about two years now and they started after three years of vaping.  Vaping drys out your nasal passages as well as causes inflammation. According to studies reported by the BBC

“They found vapour caused inflammation and impaired the activity of alveolar macrophages, cells that remove potentially damaging dust particles, bacteria and allergens.”

0 Kudos
Purrbrina

I like "I get to quit"! I personally just think "I want tonqto !", because I do, and I've been trying to compile more and more reasons why I do. Like I try to think of the freedom of not being anxious ie like you said of running out or relying on something for basic sanity. Like pnkdasyz‌ and you both said, I don't want to be a slave anymore. I'm just generally tired of it. So personally I want to quit, I don't have to, but I know my life will be better when I'm done. So for now I'm easing up on my intake as well. The 1.2% is impressive! Well done!

The one thing I'm scared about is how to implement successful healthy coping mechanisms I can use in the moment, esp when I'm angry, or stressed.. suppose I'll have to figure out what works for me and deal with that beast when I come to it.

Will keep you in my thoughts as well! As well as everyone struggling to quit or stay quit, and everyone in this thread

Benedina

Purrbrina, I think the biggest challenge is just what you’ve stated in implementing healthy coping mechanisms, ESPECIALLY when angry and stressed.  That is why I am so grateful, SO grateful for the people here. I came to this site and read posts and valuable information for about three months before I registered.  

The day I quit, I will be on here all day, every day, reading inspiration, getting support, and  most important for me, being connected to and with people who have gone through what I’m going to be going through, who graciously and generously share support, insight, and advice to help me stay on the freedom path. That’s truly what it is, freedom.

There’s so much comfort to any human being, in NOT being alone during hard times and challenges. You are not alone in this. I know I probably shouldn’t be posting a lot because I haven’t quit yet. Right now I’m happier than I have been in a long time because right now, at this moment, I WANT to quit.

Perhaps just the mindset of wanting to quit is the first step, because once we start thinking we want to quit, at least for me, it’s now like a mosquito biting all the time. The thought of wanting to quit starts overtaking the action more and more, at least that’s how it is for me. I’ve noticed I’m putting the vape farther and farther away so I have to make an effort to go get it. I’m looking at that stupid stick with vapor and nicotine with MUCH more distain now that I’ve registered here.  

Stay here ! And a gentle suggestion, something I’ve started to do that I didn’t before, don’t limit yourself just to the posts.  Read all the help suggestions and website links IN the posts, that give us tips for distraction and getting through the initial phases of quitting. Jackie has a post with “100 Things To Do Instead Of Smoke “ and because I’ve seen it strongly suggested, I have Allen Carr’s book arriving.  My plan for the day is reading his book and afterward, tape up poster board and with magic markers in BIG letters, list all that I have allowed this monster to take from me in time, health issues, MONEY, (and I’ll play the vanity card because if you vape long enough YOU WILL GET MOUTH AND LIP WRINKLES) and my sense of freedom and peace of mind.    I might still walk over to the vape, but I’ll have to pass by that poster board first, lol. 

Today I’m going for a drive and walking at a park and for the first time......I am .....NOT ....taking my vape with me. Nor am I taking any money or a credit card (to prevent me from stopping at a gas station or store) . 

It will be about three hours and it’s already got me very nervous, VERY anxious, and to be honest, actually afraid....of how this will go. Just those very feelings bring front and center, that nicotine truly is an addiction that keeps me in a psychological and physical prison.  

Wishes for you today, that you have moments of spontaneous joy and snippets of laughter. 

YoungAtHeart

Might I suggest you start by just putting each puff off a LITTLE?  You will make this MUCH more difficult on yourself if you initially try to go for a long period of time, suffering withdrawal from it most of that time.  You also might first try reducing the level of nicotine in the pods over time. 

When you quit, you will go through withdrawal for a few days - but then it ends.  Trying to go for long periods without actually getting through that initial quit period is just making it harder for you!

You have the right idea - but just go a bit easier on it to start!

0 Kudos
Benedina

Youngatheart.....you are so right about starting out too soon and too long. I made it like, twenty minutes before I caved and made my husband drive back for my vapes. The suggestion that I put off puff a little longer each time, is right on the money in terms of helpful. I have already reduced from 2.4 % (which is 24 mg) to 1.2 % (which is 12 mg). Suffering through it but I believe your advice is sound in reduction of both the strength and time in between puffs. Thank you so much for your input.

JACKIE1-25-15

You can start here @Quitting E-cigarettes | Guides & Tools | BecomeAnEX 

Just like the lack of research surrounding the dangers of vaping in general, there are very few resources available specifically for those who are looking to quit vaping. On the bright side, however, the process for quitting smoking is almost identical to the one for quitting vaping, with the added benefit of being able to fully control the amount of nicotine you use, depending on the e-cig you are using.  Relearning your thinking that you do not have to vape is a good beginning. For a while, you will think about smoking but that does not mean you have to act on it.  You can talk yourself out of smoking.  No matter what never ever take another puff.  NOPE.  Take vaping off the table as an option and do something different. 101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke SINAO smoking is not an option. Read, Study, andBlog