cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

prayingtoquit

Ugh

I have been smoking for about 40 years.  I've been wanting to quit,  but now I MUST! I am having both hips replaced and they will not do the surgery unless I have been quit for 6 weeks.  Not only do I still have Ali this pain. Now I'm quitting at the same time.  I'm wearing a patch and use a lozenge in the morning to help with that"first cig" feeling.  

I'm so afraid.  I mean I know I can do it.  It's so hard, and I feel like I'm losing a friend.  Sounds stupid,  huh?   I just needed to vent.  I've only been quit 3 days.  Thanks for listening. 

Labels (2)
2 Replies
Barbscloud

@prayingtoquit Welcome to the Ex and congrats on 3 days  of success.

Anxiety about quitting is normal. Many describe it as losing their best friend, We've smoked our way through every event and emotion, so it's only normal that were apprehensive. Approaching your quit one day at a time can help to alleviate the fear. Don't think about forever right now. You'll see those one days will turn into multiple days.

Right now, you're working through the process of your desire to quit and the addiction wanting you to keep it up. You can win that internal battle by educating yourself about nicotine addiction and putting a plan in place with how you'll deal with cravings, identifying your triggers and creating the new associations you'll create instead of smoking.

And you just found an amazing group of quitters the are here to support you on this journey to becoming an Ex. There will be ups and downs, but that is part of the journey. We're here for you, so just reach out anytime we can help or want to share your experience.

This link is a great place to get you started on the right track. https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

You're going to ready for you upcoming surgery!

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

maryfreecig

Got to, have to, want to, willing to... No matter what your mindset is, one day at a time you can overcome your addiction to nicotine. Almost all of us who have quit went through the feeling that we've lost our most best pal ever...

You don't need to be a convert to quitting, just keep it simple (hip replacement--a surgery that is known to have high rate of success), keep it one step and one day at a time. And it's ok to feel a little put out...quitting is not rational, it's emotion and it's work. You can do this for yourself. Keep reading and connecting with quitters on Ex so that you don't feel all alone!!!

Congratulations on three days!!! 

Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 9.34.24 PM.png323904809_1208377589770425_5267243791019261933_n.jpg20220808_163610.jpg

0 Kudos