cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Tvd1997

Trying to quit vaping

Jump to solution
  • Hey guys I’m trying to quit vaping. My quit date was supposed to be on sept 25th but I keep giving into vaping. I have a roommate who vapes which kinda makes it harder to quit when I see his around. Does anyone have any tips that I could use to be successful at quitting? I previously quit for over 6 months and then got back into it. 
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Barbscloud

@Tvd1997 Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  There are other quitters here that have been successful living with a smoker/vaper. The important thing to remember, it's your quit,  no one else's.  You can ask your roommate not to vape inside, but only you can control your behavior. 

No matter the source, nicotine is an addictive chemical so yes it can be hard to quit. The fact that you vape almost anywhere doesn't make it any easier.

The same principles to quit smoking will apply to your quit. It's important to educate yourself about nicotine and have a quit plan. Knowledge and preparation have been made quitting possible for many of us. I never did neither in the past and I was never successful. I was planning my quit this time and found the Ex a week before my quit date. I finally learned how to quit and how important support from other quitters can be. Read lots of material on the site. This link is a great place to start.

Quitting Guides

Believe in yourself that you can do it. Approaching your quit one day at a time helps to alleviate much of the anxiety we experience when we think about quitting.

We're here to support you so reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience, and to support other quitters. 

Join many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

View solution in original post

maryfreecig

Sounds like you know the ropes about quitting because you did succeed for six months. Might be that you could use more social support so that you overcome the triggers of seeing your roommates stuff all around. Tips? Come to Ex, read blogs, read the info pages--especially when you are triggered.

Quitting requires relearning responses to people, places and things. And this is best done one day at a time. Trying to quit "once and for all, right now, for good, never again" is in my opinion a set up for failure most of the time--but one day at a time, facing stuff, recommitting each day to NOPE and walking the walk will get you to where you want to be.

Life is so much better without addiction. Keep working on your path forward.

Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 9.34.24 PM.png316218458_463466149244455_7344345187593041005_n.jpg20220808_163610.jpg308875167_3268277690101138_6544419650644654398_n.jpg

Augustus44

I don't know whether or not you've asked your roommate to help you keep your "quit." One of the ways might be for him/her to put the vape stuff away and out of sight. You could also ask that he/she vape outside. However, it might be helpful to watch what he/she is actually doing--that is, inhaling and exhaling vape -- from a distance that looks kind of like a waste of time. Also, check out the money he/she is spending, and save yours for something you'd like to buy. I am at 42 days now and I can tell you that the urge seems to be going away as each day gets further from the original first day--finally, when the urge hits, and it does for all of us, maybe you could tell yourself that it's a 5 minute Nic fit--do something different to change your mind--that helps. Hang in there; if I can do it, you certainly can.

10 Replies
Barbscloud

@Tvd1997 Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  There are other quitters here that have been successful living with a smoker/vaper. The important thing to remember, it's your quit,  no one else's.  You can ask your roommate not to vape inside, but only you can control your behavior. 

No matter the source, nicotine is an addictive chemical so yes it can be hard to quit. The fact that you vape almost anywhere doesn't make it any easier.

The same principles to quit smoking will apply to your quit. It's important to educate yourself about nicotine and have a quit plan. Knowledge and preparation have been made quitting possible for many of us. I never did neither in the past and I was never successful. I was planning my quit this time and found the Ex a week before my quit date. I finally learned how to quit and how important support from other quitters can be. Read lots of material on the site. This link is a great place to start.

Quitting Guides

Believe in yourself that you can do it. Approaching your quit one day at a time helps to alleviate much of the anxiety we experience when we think about quitting.

We're here to support you so reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience, and to support other quitters. 

Join many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

maryfreecig

Sounds like you know the ropes about quitting because you did succeed for six months. Might be that you could use more social support so that you overcome the triggers of seeing your roommates stuff all around. Tips? Come to Ex, read blogs, read the info pages--especially when you are triggered.

Quitting requires relearning responses to people, places and things. And this is best done one day at a time. Trying to quit "once and for all, right now, for good, never again" is in my opinion a set up for failure most of the time--but one day at a time, facing stuff, recommitting each day to NOPE and walking the walk will get you to where you want to be.

Life is so much better without addiction. Keep working on your path forward.

Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 9.34.24 PM.png316218458_463466149244455_7344345187593041005_n.jpg20220808_163610.jpg308875167_3268277690101138_6544419650644654398_n.jpg

Tvd1997

Thank you so much. That was very insightful and I appreciate the motivational pictures. Looking at it just day by day would make it easier instead of thinking I’m quitting now and never want to do it again instead of working towards getting to that point. I’m struggling to deal with the urges to vape cause in the moment having a craving is helped by just hitting a vape. I just feel like I’m overwhelmed and stressing this moment in life and vaping helps to relieve these feelings in the mean time. I’ve been trying to quit but it’s tough and I just gave into buying another vape cause my cravings were really strong. I will try soon though to quit.. 

0 Kudos
Augustus44

I don't know whether or not you've asked your roommate to help you keep your "quit." One of the ways might be for him/her to put the vape stuff away and out of sight. You could also ask that he/she vape outside. However, it might be helpful to watch what he/she is actually doing--that is, inhaling and exhaling vape -- from a distance that looks kind of like a waste of time. Also, check out the money he/she is spending, and save yours for something you'd like to buy. I am at 42 days now and I can tell you that the urge seems to be going away as each day gets further from the original first day--finally, when the urge hits, and it does for all of us, maybe you could tell yourself that it's a 5 minute Nic fit--do something different to change your mind--that helps. Hang in there; if I can do it, you certainly can.

Annroseann64
  • now ex smokers still have a chance of lung cancer.i vape idk if it'd as bad as Newport. But I can run miles again.id like to quit vaping.i buy throw away but still not good my dr told me better  then cigaretts idk if he's just joking  or serious.but my ex has lung cancer.maroburo all his life.onclogist said  stage 1 2 3 4 your going to die anyway.it comes back.
0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@Annroseann64 Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your upcoming quit.

Can you elaborate more about you plan?   If you're vaping, it's not healthy for you either.

Lung Injuries and Vaping - EX Community

How can we help?

Barb

Augustus44

If you are vaping you are still addicted to the big NIC. That addiction is very difficult to break but it is easier the further away from your original quit day that you get. Nicotine isn't doing you any good, and sucking in vape smoke is just as bad as smoking cigs--I'm down the road 122 days down the road now--it's getting fairly easy to make it through each day. I'm finally laughing at the many ways I maneuvered my life so that I could smoke--nicotine controlled every day and night. I would recommend that you read Carr's book --quitting smoking--it will help you see just what that addiction is all about.

I quit vaping back in October of this year and before that I had started smoking cigarettes again, after I had quit in March 2020. I had smoked cigarettes from about 2005-2020, 15 years. I started up again in summer 2021 and then discovered vaping in late 2021. I quit vaping in October 2023. I thought vaping was like a healthier, unsmelly alternative to smoking but alas, it was not. So now I’m cold turkey yet again on all the nicotine ingestion and I just feel like I’m missing something. This brain fog is incessant but I like your tip on exercise to help release dopamine and positive endorphins, thank you!

My way was just cold turkey… I was tired of being out of breath and not being able to hit the high notes in the songs I sing along to lol and of course, the whole health angle, you know, that’s always a big draw lol Just think of reasons why you want to quit to begin with and then constantly dwell on them until all the pleasure from smoking is gone and that dream of quitting becomes reality🤷🏻‍♀️ Good luck and Happy Holidays🎄 You got this!