cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

I’ve smoked AND vaped…

I recently quit vaping (October 3rd) after I started it about a year and a half ago, After I had quit smoking cigs about a year before that…nicotine has been apart of my life for over half my life so I feel somewhat lost and lots of brain fog… I feel good health wise, more lung capacity, less shortness of breath, all that good stuff but my mental health I feel has suffered… anybody else?  I have no desire to start up again, I just wonder when this anxiety/depression fog will go bye bye…

5 Replies
Barbscloud

@Nosmokiethebear Welcome to the Ex and congrats on 79 days of success.  Most of these symptoms do subside after 2 - 4 weeks, but everyone is different.

Have you been doing anything to increase your dopamine levels?.  It can take 3 months for dopamine levels to return to normal.  Exercise is a great way to do.  Walking is especially helpful.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. Seems your discomfort brought you here to find answers. This community and whole site are loaded with lots of info, good spirit. Stick around, grow your recovery one day at a time. It takes time and there is no specific date to recovery--but it helps to believe in yourself and your goal to finally be rid of nicotine.

It's said around here sometimes that quitting is not an event, it's a journey--we're relearning life the way we used to live it, but it's been a long time and it doesn't feel familiar. It will. On step, one day at a time.

Congratulations on your quit. Keep working your quit!

pastedImage_1.jpgebae0a862a55c6079c81953bf6d7ded0.jpg

McMoney

I think I have felt like you do.... Like somehow my life is more boring or I'm waiting for "the good part". I don't want to smoke but I want... something.. 

I really think the key is engaging in other activities that produce dopamine. Actively seeking out experiences no matter how small that you can find exciting. I've tried lots of stuff so far (fruit smoothies in the blender, making fruity ice, new recipes, aromatherapy, exploring a sorts of hot teas, loads of exercises, shopping works but it's expensive (lol!), so many other things) and I keep trying things over and over to see what sticks. Create new routines using new habits. Keep trying new things. Keep a gratitude journal. Just keep going and keep looking for the positive. Reach out if you need to talk. You're doing great @Nosmokiethebear! Even when it feels like you're spinning your wheels, you are moving forward! Just keep going.

- Meriah

I love all those tips and advice, thank you! I have definitely tried to implement new things and new experiences and ideas. It’s just a little tricky with how my job is set up-I’m an onsite manager for a little hotel, my apartment is right above the lobby and I work more than full time because I’m available 24/7. They make it worth my while monetarily but it leaves little room to run amuck or go astray or do anything else than live where I work if you get my drift. So it just makes it difficult to develop a non routine if that makes sense. But I’m not making excuses, just trying to paint a picture of what I’m dealing with and how I’m still somehow making it work lol thanks again for reaching out @McMoney , think I’ll go make a cup of tea right now!

champsin97

Yes........doing anything to increase dopamine levels.  Exercise is a big one because it makes you feel better physically and makes you feel better about yourself.  Start a new hobby or pick up an old one.  I started woodworking again and picked up playing the guitar.  Oh my fingers are killing me!  It just takes time mostly because we're missing are old friend so to speak.  Stay strong.