cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

JACKIE1-25-15

Trying to figure this out.

YoungAtHeart‌  Since you have such an endless knowledge of horticultural matters I thought I should ask you. Do you have any idea what this plant is?  When I purchased it I was told it is a banana plant but I thought banana plants had wider leave on a stalk.  Maybe it is some other variation but I can not find anything on it. Does anybody know?

name this plant

0 Kudos
49 Replies

Well, if it has fleshy leaves as opposed to thin ones it's either a type of bromeliad or succulent. I think it's in the family of the former. Take it to your nursery if you want to know?

JACKIE1-25-15

Great idea. Thanks.

0 Kudos
elvan

Alright, this thing is in my yard, it is taller than I am, came up from something that sort of looked like a cabbage...it is very strange...IMG_0520.JPGIMG_0521.JPG

JACKIE1-25-15

What the........................?  A weed? lmhoo

elvan

JACKIE1-25-15‌ It is flowering, little yellow flowers...looks like a corn cob coming out of the top.  It is the strangest thing I have ever seen...I will save the seeds for you, JonesCarpeDiem‌!  I am a little fearful of the giant though.

Ferget about the seeds, I want the magic beans. That corn cob on top just may be what giants use after #2. This used to be the norm until they invented cob pipes to get their nicotine.

0 Kudos
Diannnnn

It might be a weed, but it's cool.

0 Kudos
elvan

Well, it sure is TALL...then again, everything in our yard is tall.  I am sure the city will be sending a letter to my husband any day now and then he'll mow the lawn on the day they give as a deadline.  It's a very interesting weed.  Oh we have a bull thistle that he put stakes around so the town would know he WANTS it there.  Dear God...

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Bull thistle?  Or should I google it.

0 Kudos
elvan

http://www.ediblewildfood.com/bull-thistle.aspx 

It really has a beautiful blossom but the plant is seriously prickly.

0 Kudos