cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

MichelleDiane

Time off for good behavior

On my way to work today I had the strangest thought.  Yes it was thoughts related to smoking, but not in a way that I wanted one.  When prisoners get time off for good behavior they earn their freedom, so why is it that when we quit smoking we (not everyone.  Speaking really for myself, but it may apply to more than me) want just one knowing that we are going to become prisoners.  Dialogue usually goes "I've done so good one won't hurt".  We all know how that one ends, yet the the irrational part of us is saying "I've been so good that I can give myself time off for good behavior"  Prisoners are dying to get out of jail and we are just dying when we smoke.  Just a thought.

21 Replies
emilyt123078

Thought provoking.....Don't know why we feel having one is a good thing, but it's the weird addict in us that tries to reason through it, I suppose. 

MichelleDiane

Wow.  I need to be a little more careful when I post.  I am so sorry to have wrote my conversation starter in the way I did.  I think that what I was trying to say is that when we do say "I'll just have one" it's as if we are saying we are giving ourselves permission because we have behaved and not smoked.  The analogy to the above does need a little work.  I am happy to say that I have not really experienced the "I'll reward myself with a cigarette".  No I don't do that anymore.  It was just the term time off for good behavior that popped into my head.  Sorry again everyone.  I'm doing okay and am planning on keeping my journey filled with positive rewards like going to the movies to see the Avengers (yay) or going out to dinner with some friends (yay).  

-Michelle

elvan

You just got people thinking and talking, nothing wrong with that.  Have fun.

Ellen

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

Well...I think that's the middle child complex in me.  Always trying to not rock the boat...the pacifist.  Thanks Ellen

You have absolutely nothing to apologize for.

MichelleDiane

Thanks Kristen.  I am going to try to stop doing that.  

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

I understood you.  no apology needed

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

Thanks Missy.  Hope all is well with you.  It's really nice to see you in the community

jtheo

Good information and good advice. As a newbie early in my quit (day 5) I enjoy reading information, theory, and opinions. This was very helpful to me today as "good behavior" concept was running thru my head all day. Bonnie...wow...thanks. MichelleDiane appreciated the post!!!

MichelleDiane

Thank you jtheo for reading and responding.  Congrats on 5 days WON.  It's wonderful.  Make it a good night

0 Kudos