cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

12Finally34

Thinking vs Wanting a Cigarette

Jump to solution

Questions came up during the reading of the Relapse Prevention Group.

Which is most dangerous thinking or wanting a cigarette during withdrawals?

Is thinking when cigarette comes across my mind and I brush it off with new information or affirmation?

Is wanting when that craving comes and grabs hold of me mentally and physically?

12Finally34

22 Replies
Giulia

15 whole days.  Well, we who have been there, certainly know how it feels and the effort needed to get there! And sometimes we feel GREAT and yet sometimes not so much so.  You've done all your homework (and I'm sure you're continuing to do so with reading on here).  I love the fact that you're passing out the EX cards!  Oh heck no you don't need another prescription for Chantix.  You've got this!  "I am beginning to accept the fact that 45 years will not go over night"  And only after 15 days!  It takes others a much longer time to realize that.  The more we accept the journey, the easier it becomes.  Because we know whatever state we're emotionally in with a craving - it will alter and be gone in the next moment. Fighting is tiring.  Accepting means a sort of "giving up" to the journey.  Hmmm, actually I think we need both within us.  The fight to get it done, the accepting of what it takes to get there.  Essentially the acceptance of the "choice" we made.  For better or for worse.

"I didn't take the first puff..."  Keep that mantra and you will have day after day of smoke-freedom that will add up to your first year milestone.  

0 Kudos
12Finally34

Hi Giulia,

I reread your message.  I didn't take the time to wallow in the fact that I accomplished something.  

Wow!  

Thanks - for reminding me of Rule #64 - Don't take myself so serious! 

I did the victory dance off Ed Shenan's new single!  

Thanks!

12Finally34

0 Kudos
12Finally34

Good Morning Self,

How does it feel to go to the bathroom first and brushing our teeth?

How does it feel NOT to have fear, heart palpitation and anxiety being the first thing we feel?

How does it feel NOT to feel alone and hopeless?

How does it feel to have a platform where you can have an honest feeling and opinion without internal dialogue judging every word?

How does it feel that the craving is NOT intense but brief?

How does it feel as the tears roll down our cheek as we mourn and feel our deepest sorrow without a cigarette to comfort us?

How does it feel to leave the house with hope and wanting to be of service instead of scheming to have someone service me?

Just for today NOPE (Not One Puff Ever) and gratitude!!

12Finally34

0 Kudos