cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

12Finally34

Thinking vs Wanting a Cigarette

Jump to solution

Questions came up during the reading of the Relapse Prevention Group.

Which is most dangerous thinking or wanting a cigarette during withdrawals?

Is thinking when cigarette comes across my mind and I brush it off with new information or affirmation?

Is wanting when that craving comes and grabs hold of me mentally and physically?

12Finally34

22 Replies
Giulia

Thoughts breed feelings.  Feelings breed action.  Dwelling on cigarettes - whether thinking or wanting - are both dangerous in the beginning stages of a new quit.  One of the many "Aha!" moments that occur when you've achieved a new level on the journey is that day when you can think about a cigarette WITHOUT wanting one.  It was a breakthrough moment for me.  That's why it's important to change our focus in the beginning.  Each time we manage to do so successfully, we become more adept at it.  Cigarette thought (craving) comes in, cigarette thought goes out.  Until it feels like the thoughts just quickly pass through.   It's a learned skill. Just takes practice.  The point is not to dwell on them. 

12Finally34

Giulia,

Thanks!!  You do give it straight!  I feel like you are like the elder spokeperson who does not deal with anything but the fact we cannot take the first puff.  

Reading your blog, I began to see the unmanageability in my life and how much time it consumed.  I see the insanity of wanting, mourning and paying for  something that will kill me.  

You asked what my goal was for the week, I wasn't sure.  Now, I have two small goals I want to accomplish before the end of the 2nd week.  

One, is to open a cigarette saving account.  

Goal 2:  making the effort to pray and gives thanks for these past 10 days.   

I walked 37 blocks yesterday and when I passed a smoker - I said - they didn't say they are Ex...I am an Ex... If that didn't work, Carr's suggestion applied.

I have a nicotine sponsor and when I can not make a meeting, I call him.  I am attending nicotine meetings and using the blog's suggestions.  

Sleeping better - no nightmare - the water is still working.

12Finally34

0 Kudos
Giulia

Good goals to have 12Finally34 !  And 37 blocks is Fabulous!  You're going to be "strong like Bull!" (said with heavy Greek accent!).  Think of what you're going to do on your milestones with that cigarette saving account money.  There was a member here Storm.3.1.14   who came up with wonderful ideas for his.  Read some of his blogs.  It's good stuff and you'll learn a lot.  You're doing everything right!  Keep doing it.

0 Kudos
12Finally34

Didn't pick up the first puff but today was awful interacting with people (business and personal).

I made it through the day without picking up and made a Nicotine Meeting.

Read a few of Storm's blog have to reread, I was tired so I didn't quite get some of them.  Have to set next weeks goal.

12Finally34

0 Kudos
elvan

I am proud of you...there are always going to be bad days, challenging days but there are also always going to be GOOD days...SPECTACULAR days! It gets easier, promise.

12Finally34

Thanks eleven.  

I wanted you to know I am attending the nicotine meetings and I am enjoying them.  i wasn't ready for them back in 1989.  Now, with the experience, concept of the program, I am becoming aware of my nicotine addiction and how to apply the program.   

I believe it was you who recommended lemon.  It works for me and help me to redirect my thinking and craving.  I also buy the sour candy.  The sweet candy increases my urges.  I notice when i don't drank the water I become sluggish.  

For me, this week the benefits are:  enjoying the compliments and improving sleep hygiene.

I do not plan on refilling the Chantix, I believe I am building a foundation and have a strong support that I can deal with the withdrawals a heartbeat at a time.  If the urges become too intense, I can always go back on  Chantix.  

Again thanks for the support.

12Finally34 

0 Kudos
elvan

12Finally34  This makes me very happy, you are really making progress!

0 Kudos
12Finally34

Hi Eivan,

Taking your suggestion about staying close daily to the site (day-night)..  

Today was a rewarding day! 

Keeping busy is important. The day  started with me feeling like I should stay  home and lay in a fetal position.  

I was encouraged to make a meeting.  I remembered Carr's suggestion - "follow directions!".  Instead of justifying why I was staying home, I followed the suggestion.  

Listening, laughing and sharing changed my attitude.  I recorded the feeling and tools applied.

I returned to my paint project and  I am begin to see and smell a difference.

Making weekly goal is helpful also.

12Finally34

0 Kudos
Giulia

Stay with it.  Another Day Won!  Think about this for a moment:  how far ahead you are of those who are just setting their quit date.  They can't WAIT to have as many smoke free days as you do.  Wallow in it!  lol

12Finally34

Hi Giulia,

I didn't take the first puff and today I actually have 15 days (stopped 7/22/17.  I attended meetings, drank water and ate lemon instead of candy.  After meetings, I gave cards to members who were interested in the site.

Today, I visited the pulmonary clinic, intern took all the usual information and then he asked me the questions "You missed it don't you?." Carr's statement popped up and I respond with "How can I miss something that is killing me?.    That is when I took the card out for Ex.., explain the great support I am receiving and recommended that they recommend Alan Carr's book part of their program.  

The doctor who suggested I use Chantix came in.  She noted that my appearance has changed and along with voice quality.  I asked her about Chantix.  She didn't think I needed a refill and to keep doing what I am doing along with attending their clinic. She let me know if I think I needed more she would refill the prescription.

I am beginning to accept the fact that 45 years will not go over night and I only have a daily reprieve of not taking the first puff.  I share my frustration and irritation about not getting rid of the smoky smell and the thoughts fast enough.  i take your suggestions and not let the thought turn into a feeling.  

The benefits are adding up.  The best benefits for me are: sleeping longer, better and not seeing what other seeing, smelling and hearing (softer voice, brighter complexion and fresh smell).  

Thank you for being there and not letting me dwell on the small things in quitting smoking.  

Trying to find a picture to upload.

12Finally34

0 Kudos