cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Giulia

The Theremin

A Sunday diversion:

Today's quiz:  what musical instrument do you play without touching it?  Raise your hand if you have the answer.

While doing some snoping around I discovered this instrument.  Blew me away.  Ever heard of it?  I'll bet Dale has.  I've heard the sound it makes (from all those old sci fi movies), but never thought about what kind of instrument would play that music.  I guess I just assumed it was a wobbling violin or like paying the saw or something.  

It's actually quite fascinating and amazing.  If you're bored out of your mind (or even if you're not), click on the links below.

THEREMIN - Over The Rainbow - YouTube 

A Brief History of the Theremin | Albert Glinsky - YouTube 

Ennio Morricone - The Ecstasy of Gold - Theremin & Voice - YouTube 

Carolina Eyck and her theremin | Carolina Eyck | TEDxDornbirn - YouTube 

I love what Carolina Eyck said in that Ted Talk above:  "Try to learn from the way you are thinking and feeling and try to accept every sensation because they are a part of you.  Once it is possible for us to reach the state where we can accept and there's no judgment anymore, you feel free. ...This freedom allows our soul to connect deeply with the music.  If you are one with yourself, people will hear your soul in the music because you ARE the music."

And here's the instrument in an orchestra: 

KATICA ILLÉNYI - Once Upon a Time in the West - Theremin - YouTube 

11 Replies
marciem

Thanks for this musical treat, Giulia‌ !!   I LOVE learning new stuff!!

When I heard it, I automatically said "Well that's what the Beach Boys used on the intro etc. on "Good Vibrations" (giving my age away again LOL!) but NO!! Not exactly.  Funnily enough, it was another incarnation of it but was "hands on", and used real dials instead of hand motions to change the notes.  Mostly because the actual theramin was too difficult and probably couldn't be sustained over more than a few shows.  At least that's what I got from reading Wikipedia on it, and listening to a theramist about it too.

This shows them using the updated (Stringer, he called it)

GOOD VIBRATIONS (HD) THE BEACH BOYS - YouTube 

(sorry, video embed wasn't working at this time)

0 Kudos
Giulia

Of course!  The minute you mentioned that song I thought YES!  Same sound.  Thanks for the reminder!  Guess I'm showing my age too.  lol

0 Kudos