cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

heidi16

The Secret to Quitting For Good

Hi I'm Heidi and I'm an ex-smoker.  I smoked on and off for 30 years.  I have quit many times...once for 5 years.  Here's the wisdom I want to share with everyone that I didn't know all the other times I quit.  You can never have another puff again.  It's not that you don't want one...you do...we all do, but you don't want the thousands that will come after that.  I never knew that.  Every time I quit I would think well, I've gone 90 days I can have just one.  Or I've gone 5 years, I can have one occassionally.  Or I've gone 6 months I'll just have one, it won't hurt.  I quit so many times to tell you the truth, I really don't know how many times I have truly tried to quit, but I never had the wisdom to know that I could never have another puff again.  I think this time is the time I'll do it for good.  No, I know this time I will quit for good.  Lord knows I'm good at it, I've tried to quit so many times, I guess I kinda consider my self an expert at it...LOL.  I quit smoking January 20, 2010...almost 2 months and going strong.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
nomore

still trying to quit and deal with work family stress. wish i was on a secluded mountain with books river hot tub and pool and no way to get smokes lol

0 Kudos
va72lady

N.O.P.E. not one puff ever...that is the only true way to go..I also am a professional quitter..have quit many times over the years..This site has been so helpful and supportive..I could not have done it without this site.  This is the longest I have ever made it..feeling good..but realize I am an addict for the rest of my life I will have to remain on guard..   Shirley

0 Kudos
pat65

I quit smoking 5 months ago with my husband. He is still hanging in there but i started back a week ago and am so upset with myself but afraid to try again. My grandchildren are so proud of me and I am ashamed that I am sneaking around smoking.

0 Kudos
jan-36

Hi heidi.  Considered your blog a blessing...am on day 15 of quitting, and for the past 3 days, been thinking that bumming one cigarette and smoking it would not hurt me.  The only thing that has kept me from doing it, was the thought that I would have to start my "counting of days" all over again.

I am new to the website, and consider myself a professional quitter ~ that fails alot.

Hoping that this time, I will do it right!

Jan

0 Kudos
heidi16

For everyone trying to quit and relapse...no problem...all you have to do is try again...when you're ready.  Hey, quitting smoking is hard.  Like anything you have to work at it to get good.  I must have tried 10 times...for 1 year, 5 years, 6 months, 9 weeks, etc.  I've had a lot of practice quitting...lol...so, I think I'm pretty good at.  That's why I think this time it'll stick.  To me, just by the fact that you have tried to quit means that its just a matter of time before you do it for good...and when you do - you'll feel so mentally strong...like you can handle almost anything that comes your way.  It's very empowering.

0 Kudos
roxie-girl

Hi heidi just searching around reading blogs to past the time away I have a way to go before

I can say 2 months congradulations right now I am starting day 6  didn't think I could make it this far so keep up the good work and maybe I will be trailing behind

0 Kudos
stepasha

I bet it just gets hard to quit or not hard to start again when we have too many things going on in life. I take one step at the time and and quitting is my last step after I take care of anything that will make me stress and smoke. Really helps!

0 Kudos
heidi16

Another thing that helped me this time is that I kept real busy.  When you think about smoking just block it out...yep...quick think of something else...keep your hands busy and just go do whatever it is that needs to be done.  At first you'll find that it seems like you have a lot of time on your hands.  It did to me.  Maybe even a little bit empty, but that will pass.  I'm at the stage where I rarely think about smoking.  I rarely dream about smoking.  But remember folks, I have quit many, many times.  So not smoking seems natural.  Near the end I felt like I was forcing myself to smoke.  It just became a really bad habit and a reminder of someone I used to be.  I'm not that person anymore.  Stay strong and remember if you do relapse DO NOT beat yourself up.  Be kind to yourself.  It's hard to quit smoking!

0 Kudos
garybolyard55

yes i " d quit 4 1year 1 time, and went n 2 mines ,smell the smoke an started again an can"t stop. i:"ve trade. that bend 20 yrs. ago

0 Kudos