cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ralph1955

That FIRST Smoke

See the source image

Remember that first time you lit up? Wow it was Horrible and the taste of it was terrible. So, after experiencing that First Cigarette and how it made us feel, Why in the world did we go for the second one? That first one should have been a Clue to us all.

I remember that day.  I was in my garage and stole a cigarette from my aunt.  I lit it up and when I inhaled I thought I was going to choke to death.  Then Panic Mode set in; will they know?  Could they smell it on me? My heart was Racing but, I took a second drag and again, the coughing started.  I threw the cigarette away, went to the bathroom and brushed my teeth and gargled with Listerine.  "I'll never do that again". Yeah, right.  I just started Jr High and almost everyone was smoking. Fellow students would ask If I had a cig and I was happy to share.  Still not feeling great about smoking I still continued and eventually there was less coughing until, I suppose, my body became used to this Invader.  Back then we had ALL the signs and signals to Not Smoke but, we wanted to fit in, became a part of the 'social setting' and never looked back.

If I could go back in time to speak with my young self, we'd be having quite the conversation about the Right and Wrong Choices we'd make over the years and Smoking would be at the top of the list.

Do you remember your first time?

Tags (1)
12 Replies
elvan

I was 17 and someone offered me one...I sputtered and coughed and thought it was the worst tasting thing I had ever tasted...I had to plug my nose when I smoked so I did not experience the full taste.  It made me dizzy and I felt seriously nauseated  I never expected it to be a regular thing and had absolute no idea that I would become an addict.

Hope you are staying healthy, Ralph.

Ellen

Ralph1955

Oh yeah that Smell. I thought Everyone in my family could smell it. I doused myself with Polo cologne

YoungAtHeart

Ralph1955 And now that we don't smoke, we know that no amount of Polo would have covered up that stench.  And we thought we were getting away with it!!!