cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mandy3

Tennessee Quitters

hey! i'm from nashville too. i have tried to quit cold turkey sooooo many times. i'm going to try commit lozenges tomorrow. wish me luck!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
85 Replies
lisamo

Hiya John, That Okra recipe sounds yummy! But, you forgot to say if its hard to grow, and do you get alot of okra from one plant or do you need several? I'm tempted to try one here but my space is limited to pots around the backyard pool.....Lots of sun, or half and half?? I don't have any squash planted, is it too late?? I love crookneck and butternut! Also like those little light green summer UFO shaped squash....You dont grow your own garlic, do you? In cal i used to live near Gilroy, the garlic capital of the word!! Now, at Sams club, they import their garlic from China (boo) At Costco tho, they have big bags of it from Gilroy....I roast garlic in the oven with olive oil and some salt in earthen garlic roasting pots....then spread it on bread or with pasta or on pizza.... Do you can?? i never have but my grandmother used to....
  So yeah, let's keep this Tennessee quit site going! I've got 25 days, and YOU must be coming close to.......ONE YEAR????!!!!!!!?!?!?! What day?? I know you had 300+ a week ago so it's gotta be just around the bend...Imagine how much money you've saved, and hrs of life gained!! You go Boy! Maybe we'll have to celebrate! I don't think you live all that far from me....... Keep in touch, Lisamo
0 Kudos
john-pugh

My God Girl!

You sound like a great cook! Too bad I'm married..LOL
  Now is a good time to plant okra, and the more sun the better.
  You will be suprised how much you can get off of 10 or 20 plants, and you have to be careful not to let it get too big. The bigger it gets the tougher it gets.
  I do not can anything, even though I would like to. The Okra can be frozen straight from the garden without blanching. Kool huh!
  Yep I will have a year about the 29th of june, and you will see how cool that is faster than you think.
0 Kudos
john-pugh

Hey,
  If you live in Hendersonville, you are only about an hour away.
  It's great to have some neighbors on this site.
  A lot of them do not make it too long.
0 Kudos
lisamo

Nothing wrong with being married, I am too, just two yrs ago after a 24 year courtship! It's true! Willie quit smoking on new years day 08, so he's a year and a half almost this time. He was just on an 11 month medication treatment thats tougher than chemotherapy. A few folks in his group died, went blind, but he was just deathly ill. It'll be 3 weeks off the meds and he's already getting back to hisself and it's really amazing for him being 61 yrs old! He said that if i didn't quit smoking before he was done with his meds (3 wks ago) that he'd start up again, so I HAD to quit! It's all good though....Maybe we 4 can get together ....do you ever head into Nashville? There's some fun restaurants down there.....
  I guess I don't have room here to plant okra, Maybe i should just do a crookneck squash. Take Care, Johnny boy and let's keep this Tennessee site alive! So good to have a pal from Tenn on becoming an EX!!!! Lisamo
0 Kudos
john-pugh

Yes I come in to Nashville about every few weeks, usually to do just what you are talking about.
  I meet my 2 sisters (one who has just had a kidney transplant) for lunch every month or so.
  My Wife runs a business specializing in domestic violence classes in Dickson
  and very rarely has a day off, but she does come with me occasionly. We have been married 20 years and have 2 adopted children.

Sounds like you have had your hands full as a caregiver, and also with other (THINGS). I also have a lot of experience in those areas.

It was very loving of you to quit smoking to help out your Husband with his issues, and also a very kind thing to do for your body...As far as the Okra is concerned, you can buy fresh okra fairly cheap at any Farmer's market.

Also, the Mennonites specialize in Garden veggiess if you know somewhere close they are farming!

I don't think I've ever been in a resturant I didn't like!
0 Kudos
sheila17

Good Morning John and Lisamo,
  Hope all is well with you both and your families. John the garden sounds great. Grew up in the country, just north of you Lisamo, and really miss homegrown. Tomatoes, squash and corn. Man nothing like it.
  I've hit 70 days. Congrats Lisamo, YOU are doing fantastic. John WOW!, almost a year. I am still quit although I don't get on the site that much anymore. Need to, it really keeps you in check.
  I'm located between both of you, I'm in Donelson/Nashville.
  Hope you both have a wonderful upcoming week. Talk soon.
0 Kudos
john-pugh

Hey,

Look like we may have to do lunch sometime or another!
  Hitting 70 days Sheila is a long way toward the big triple digit club.
  For your information, I haven't been on as much either since it warmed up!

Hmmmmmmmmm wonder why??

This Tn site is pretty cool, because we think alike and know how to mind our manners!

Hope to talk to you again.
0 Kudos
john-pugh

Good morning everyone!
  Welcome our new member AD
  She is a very good person!
0 Kudos
lisamo

Hello AD Nice to meet you! You have alot of days quit already!! Thats awesome! I really like your page too....it kinda lets someone into your life a bit! I haven't gotten too far in learning how to add things to my page yet! I live in Hendersonville, how bout you? Take Care, Lisamo
0 Kudos
sheila17

morning to ya'll fellow Tennesseans. hows your part of the state? last few days were just awesome weren't they. man, i could take that all summer. yea, i know - not in tennessee. lived here all my life.
  i'm coming up on 80 days, just wanted to tell all hello
  have a great week coming up - luv ya
0 Kudos